Goreripper the Clairvoyant

Personally, I’ve got no interest standing in someone’s backyard beyond 28C, let alone standing in the direct sunlight - all day long - when the temperature is 35C plus. I love music but I ain’t paying 100 odd dollars a shot in the hope that I might be exposed to a new band.

Maybe it’s my underground nature but I don’t like big crowds or being stuck talking to some random retard or lining up for donkeys to get a drink/food etc. Even if it was a metal or a goth festival I would still struggle to deal with those issues.

And further to that I think that putting bands like Maiden and Metallica on the BDO is the root cause of that sort of problem. When the headlining act is one that's had some kind of mass mainstream crossover (like Limp Bizkit or RATM) you're going to end up with more idiots in the crowd turning up just for them. Like this year, Bjork got booed offstage every night by a pack of bogans who'd turned up just so they could shout "Fuck you, I won't do what you tell me!" when RATM came on and neither knew nor cared that Zach de la Rocha is a card-carrying Communist.
:lol:
Having Iron Maiden as headliner would be bad for almost exactly the same reason. Look at the reception BCE got and they only played for about 20 minutes. Imagine if Bjork or someone was on just before Iron Maiden. They would be killed.
Yeah ALL THE ABOVE was part of what I was thinking when I said there was potential for violence.

i've always enjoyed the BDO. i have been to 9 or 10 of them now.the first 6 at Moore Park and i think 3 or 4 at Homebush.There is always so much happening that you can find someway to enjoy the day.drinking beer!watching the girls go by.checking out the smaller stages cos you can usually get closer to the stage.drinking beer.check out what freakshow is happening at the lilypad stage.I think the one that Metallica was at was the last one i went to but that is only because it sells out so quick now and i have been too slow the last couple of years.

If they can have 500 metal festivals in Europe each year, surely they could have one in Australia! With successful metal acts, I mean.

would the australian metal fans support a festival all of thier own?

what locals acts on the bill ect? should an overseas established band headline?

Well there was Metal for the Brain in Canberra for 15 years! :) But if you're talking a Wacken-style metal festival, people have been talking idly about this for years with all sorts of headliners: Helloween, Gamma Ray, Manowar, blah blah. You need to get 30,000 or so people to a show like that just to make it economically feasible, and the only way to do that is by having two or three really, really fucking huge bands like AC/DC, Metallica and Iron Maiden headline, have it in one city only, and have it outside the regular summer festival period. Festivals work in Europe because heavy metal is regarded as a legitimate form of music over there. Bands release singles, they make the Top 40, they're on TV. Here it's just an underground scene. It's not going to happen.

Festivals work in Europe because heavy metal is regarded as a legitimate form of music over there. Bands release singles, they make the Top 40, they're on TV. Here it's just an underground scene. It's not going to happen.

Why cant it happen? Have a look around the forum and look at the number of people that traveled to more than one show on the maiden tour. 14,000 in sydney and melbourne, surely there is enough support for something we can call our own.

isnt there bands trying to break through in this country? If there is....why do they try if they dont have something to strive for. And if not, why do we devote ourselves to something that died in this country 20 yrs ago?

well, there is no risk in getting the 30,000 people to the event and enough bands to fill the bill then is there?

On your bike then, I can't believe no one thought of something so simple in the past!

You can chalk this one up to something you actually did invent, A metal festival in Australia!!!*

*pending protest from Crotia in regards to them inventing a metal festival in Australia previous to this.

where did i say it was my idea? read back through the whole post........i though spiff brought it up first

I suggested it. Still can't see why it couldn't happen. I wouldn't expect it to be in every city, never said that, but a huge one in Sydney would go off. People would flock to it if the line-up was right. One huge day and night of METAL.

You mean like the one that was in Canberra for 15 years that barely pulled 8000 people at its peak?

Or the one Melbourne with 4 massive internationals that was cancelled due to poor ticket sales?