Goreripper the Clairvoyant

music_knowledge.png

I'm not even sure Iron Maiden would do the BDO myself. If they did it would mean that many of the people who went this time would miss out because BDO sells out in minutes regardless of who's playing. This is what I find disheartening about it; it's no longer an event for the indie/alternative music crowd who are generally accepting of almost anything that isn't mainstream and is now getting clogged up with people who are mainstream and who are going along because it's the thing to go to, hanging out in the bar all day and getting shitfaced and then starting trouble in the mosh trying to get to the front to see the headliners and the two or three other bands they heard on the radio once.

yeah this is kinda what i was trying to get at.

And further to that I think that putting bands like Maiden and Metallica on the BDO is the root cause of that sort of problem. When the headlining act is one that's had some kind of mass mainstream crossover (like Limp Bizkit or RATM) you're going to end up with more idiots in the crowd turning up just for them. Like this year, Bjork got booed offstage every night by a pack of bogans who'd turned up just so they could shout "Fuck you, I won't do what you tell me!" when RATM came on and neither knew nor cared that Zach de la Rocha is a card-carrying Communist.
Having Iron Maiden as headliner would be bad for almost exactly the same reason. Look at the reception BCE got and they only played for about 20 minutes. Imagine if Bjork or someone was on just before Iron Maiden. They would be killed.

so the concensus is they wont play the BDO.......

i like spiff's idea and a whole festival devoted to metal!

If they can have 500 metal festivals in Europe each year, surely they could have one in Australia! With successful metal acts, I mean.

For a metal festival to work in Australia, Iron Maiden would have to headline. After this last tour, I can't think of another band that's even remotely metal that could do it. Except Metallica, and they would be just too expensive.

Yeah, but like I just said, for Maiden to headline they would need to have another metal band play right before them to stop the bogans wrecking the place, and I can't think of anyone that would fit the bill.
Metallica fans are more violent, and they have headlined. Also, most people there to see Rage Against The Machine this year were less than impressed with waiting through Bjork, but that was fine.

Also, I think with tours like Gigantour two years in a row, Maiden and Heaven & Hell selling out, Korn/Chimeara/whoever else, Bullet For My Valentine/Avenged Sevenfold/Atreyu....all those doing well could be building up to some kind of metal event happening here in the future.

For a metal festival to work in Australia, Iron Maiden would have to headline. After this last tour, I can't think of another band that's even remotely metal that could do it. Except Metallica, and they would be just too expensive.

Of course, they could make it a hard rock/metal festival. That would open it up a bit, band-wise.

If AC/DC is involved in any live event it will sell out immediately. If you sold hot cakes, the AC/DC ticket sales would be comparable.