Got hit by an uninsured driver today...

Sucks to hear. I find an incentive to drive carefully is to get a hold of the crash test results for the car you drive....mine is a little unnerving. Fyi this vehicle is twenty years old and has little if any safety features, whereas the newer Holden commodores are considerably safer.

Last edited by a moderator:
So you saw me just get in this accident and still have the balls to ask me for money? Go die in a ditch.

HAHA I fuckin hate homeless people.
I fuckin hate goin to NY because they swarm the goddamn place. Went there to see Metallica a few months ago and once like ten years back , I'm never goin again haha

just want to light em up with a flamethrower

Over here, if you don't pay insurance over a longer time period the insurance company has to (and obviously will) report you to the public order office who then actively hunt you down to immobilise your vehicle (by removing the badges).

This leads to a very slim potential of getting into an accident with an uninsured driver. It's virtually almost impossible.

Am I right in assuming that there isn't such an authority who actively enforces this in the US?

Over here, if you don't pay insurance over a longer time period the insurance company has to (and obviously will) report you to the public order office who then actively hunt you down to immobilise your vehicle (by removing the badges).

This leads to a very slim potential of getting into an accident with an uninsured driver. It's virtually almost impossible.

Am I right in assuming that there isn't such an authority who actively enforces this in the US?

It's regulated by state - NY (as you would expect) is about as efficient, when I got dropped by State Farm for too many tickets (and a crash), they immediately informed the NYS DMV (as they're required to), who then sent me a letter stating that I had to either get new insurance (which I did) or surrender my plates, and for the interim period when I possessed my plates but was uninsured, I would be fined a pretty hefty amount (which I was) - also, I'm pretty certain you can't register a car (and get plates) without proof of insurance

@ Marcus: Okay, thanks for the info so far (and I read what you wrote earlier) but I'm still wondering what would have happened if you hadn't got new insurance and you wouldn't have handed out the plates? I mean besides the obvious fines, would they have hunted you down in best bounty hunter manner? ;)

@ Masterbeat: Okay, so it's quite possible to get through with this in certain states if you just manage to not being pulled over?

I can't remember what the form said as far as consequences went (I paid immediately, of course), but I know that for all my traffic court dates it would say that failure to show up could result in a warrant being issued for my arrest, so I'd say it's pretty likely :D

@ Marcus: Okay, thanks for the info so far (and I read what you wrote earlier) but I'm still wondering what would have happened if you hadn't got new insurance and you wouldn't have handed out the plates? I mean besides the obvious fines, would they have hunted you down in best bounty hunter manner? ;)

@ Masterbeat: Okay, so it's quite possible to get through with this in certain states if you just manage to not being pulled over?

Your license gets suspended. If you get pulled over during that period they tow your car and in some states you get your ass arrested.

Basically NY doesn't like un insured drivers. Rightfully so.

Status Update (if anyone cares):

Just over $8000 in damages to my vehicle. Its got about a week left in the shop as they are waiting on some parts. Got the police report today - the other driver did not have any insurance and was cited for that. She also was cited for careless driving. I was disappointed to see that they didn't perform any drug or alcohol tests but its too late now.

A few things I've learned from this experience:

1. Make sure you have a low deductible (mine is only $500 so its not going to be a big deal to come up with it when my truck is finished).

2. If you can afford it, make sure you have rental car coverage on your insurance policy so that if you are involved in a wreck your rental car will be completely covered. This is where I messed up. I'm currently paying almost $180 a week for a rental car while mine is in the shop. Since the other driver was found at fault, my insurance company will be suing her for their losses, my deductible, as well as the cost of the rental car while my vehicle was being repaired. However, there is no guarantee that any of this money will actually be recoverable. In the event that it is, I'm pretty sure someone driving without insurance will not have upwards of $10,000 in cash laying around to cover the fines, cost of her vehicle, possibly her medical expenses, my deductible, the damages to my car and the cost of my rental. Needless to say this poor girl is in a pretty bad spot for quite a while and will be making monthly payments for quite some time.

3. People in Louisiana can't drive - but they're still better than Jersey drivers.