Goth/Punk/Electro/Dark/Strange song

LeSedna

Mat or Mateo
Jan 20, 2008
Montpellier, France
Hi,

I've finished mixing a song for a friend. It's his one-man band, more in the dark/goth styles I would say. He sort of sucks in most aspects, he is not a good musician, he knows nothing about mixing, and therefore is charging me some bucks to mix one song. He already likes the result, even if I don't already 100%. So would you do a constructive criticism of that song ?

Just know : he actually sucks on many things (he says it himself) so all his sounds are a bit crappy (all from Reason). It's also made of many samples, so there is no way of changing sounds etc. I already made him redo his vocals, add a bass (it tremendously lacks bass) etc. He doesn't want a too powerful rythm section too, and wants it more ambiant. It's all about mixing only now.

Oh, and it's premastered, I'm in the ending process.

Here's an mp3 (it's still downloading if you come here fast)
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/881054/Sneap/rate my mix/inheritancestudio_apathy_master_PREFINAL.mp3

Its starts to sound like MJ's Thriller right before the vocals come in...

Other than that, I feel like I'm in a weird psychedelic rain forest... I don't particularly like this feeling... maybe thats what he's going for, though.

I would say that maybe the vocals are too upfront in the mix... bring them down like 1db or maybe even 2db... its probably just cause he's not that good of a singer... but I have never heard anything like this before, so I will give him points for creativity... haha.