Gotta set up a little home studio. Help!

IronApe

Dec 14, 2005
Pavia - Italy
So I'm thinking about setting up a little equipment at home, since i moved in a bigger home and have some extra space for my stuff. Since I'm gonna also be moving around with this setup, I was considering using a laptop pc and a relatively small interface. As far as the pc is concerned, I'll be getting a big help from a friend, but I wanted some advice about the interface and monitors. I'll be recording mainly acoustic and electric guitars and bass but I'll also be producing some electronic crap...
I was looking at the Mackie Onyx Satellite or the Edirol stuff, pending more on the Mackie side, anything else worthy in that price range? I don't need more than 2 ins, but at least 4 outs, so the UA-25 is out, unfortunately, since I heard good things about it on this board, especially from Gavin.
And I was thinking about matching it with a couple of Yamaha's HS50's, i suppose th HS80's would probably be too much for a home studio. Same as before, anything else I should look at?
Cheers!

So I'm thinking about setting up a little equipment at home, since i moved in a bigger home and have some extra space for my stuff. Since I'm gonna also be moving around with this setup, I was considering using a laptop pc and a relatively small interface. As far as the pc is concerned, I'll be getting a big help from a friend, but I wanted some advice about the interface and monitors. I'll be recording mainly acoustic and electric guitars and bass but I'll also be producing some electronic crap...
I was looking at the Mackie Onyx Satellite or the Edirol stuff, pending more on the Mackie side, anything else worthy in that price range? I don't need more than 2 ins, but at least 4 outs, so the UA-25 is out, unfortunately, since I heard good things about it on this board, especially from Gavin.
And I was thinking about matching it with a couple of Yamaha's HS50's, i suppose th HS80's would probably be too much for a home studio. Same as before, anything else I should look at?
Cheers!

I'd steer away from the Edirol stuff. I've used a couple of their smaller interfaces and wasn't impressed at all. I've got a pair of HS80's in my home studio, and they're by no means too much. You just need to treat your room a bit so the lows won't cause any trouble, but then again, no matter what monitors you get, room treatment is essential.

... also TC Electronic Konnekt 24D in there now. So now we have:

-Mackie Onyx Satellite
-Saffire LE
-Alesis IO|26
-TC Electronic Konnekt 24D

I'm still one the Mackie side, but very curious about the TC Electronic... Help!! ¯\(°_o)/¯

i use the onyx by myself and i have to say that this thing is a very ugly one:puke: by the way it sounds good! i don't have any experiences in the tc. you can't go wrong with the onyx. its quite cheap and its firewire. if you have the correct firewire chip on your motherboard it will run without any trouble.

Hahahahaha, god I freakin' love that little guy :lol:

And UPDATE - in the past 10 minutes, I've been made aware of the EMU 1616m cardbus - 16 inputs and outputs (6 analog, 10 digital), PCMCIA (so lower latency than firewire), and in the case of the 1616m (but not the standard 1616), the same AKM converters in the Digi 192 i/o and more than likely the RME Fireface!

EDIT: My paranoia is motivating me to delete the second part of this post :D

Pensavo di aver trovato il prezzo più basso su ebay, intorno ai 170 €, ma così è quasi regalata!!!
Mi sa che ci faccio un pensierino... Grazie!