Grainy tone, losing all hope

Xarthaz

Jun 12, 2008
I matched EQ with Metallica's One, but my TH2 amp simulated guitar still sounds shitty and grainy.. what the hell do i need to do to get it sound decent Look at how smooth metallica's guitar is compared to me

http://www.multiupload.com/MZKQQL29ZW

For what its worth, here is the original recording if some wizard can make it sound good and share how its done :bah:

http://www.multiupload.com/VZMG3GR4I0

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I get this frustrating grainy sound whatever i do. Tried a 30 db bass cut before the amp to tighten it up and compensate for bass after th2 but it was still grainy :yuk: Funny, because its the same settings as Clark Kent in his tutorial and he has great smooth tone

So... you're using an amp sim and wondering why your guitar doesn't sound like a real amp running through millions of dollars worth of equipment and processing?

So... you're using an amp sim and wondering why your guitar doesn't sound like a real amp running through millions of dollars worth of equipment and processing?

+1000000

In addition the guitar tone on AJFA is SHIT! Its grainy and thin.

When the hell are you kids going to learn that if you want REAL GREAT TUBE AMP TONE you will need to buy a fucking tube amp.

^ +1 as well

I would also add that trying to simulate someone else's tone exactly will only lead you to headaches and retracking. Get a tone you like using your ears, your amp, and your taste, not a graph of someone else's tone.

+1000000

In addition the guitar tone on AJFA is SHIT! Its grainy and thin.

When the hell are you kids going to learn that if you want REAL GREAT TUBE AMP TONE you will need to buy a fucking tube amp.

Says it all right there. The only way to get the Justice tone is through mic technique...They used multiple mics and used a very specific phase cancellation to get the tone. Being James Hetfield helps some too. Why not go for the tone you hear in your head? Presets are worthless IMO.

Look... the simulation isnt honestly the problem. I get the same type of grainy tone when i run line out from my tube amp or analog stomp boxes. I think its guitar pickups muddy(seems dubiuous, tried with 3 different axes), cable or audio interface problem. Or maybe its possible to fix the graininess with some wizardry? i provided the DI track in OP

Look... the simulation isnt honestly the problem. I get the same type of grainy tone when i run line out from my tube amp or analog stomp boxes. I think its guitar pickups muddy(seems dubiuous, tried with 3 different axes), cable or audio interface problem. Or maybe its possible to fix the graininess with some wizardry? i provided the DI track in OP

If the source is shit then no amount of wizardry will polish that turd; it will only result in frustration.

If you have this tube amp then why are you using line outs? You won't get the deliciousness of the power section (the whole point basically) only using the preamp.

And if the simulation isn't the problem, why is it the only common factor in everything you listed? :err:

That tone cannot be salvaged, but if you're set on trying anyway then do this:

- reduce the 4.5k-9k region, that's where all the fizz resides
- your mids are way too scooped, do a broad 6dB boost around 1k
- boost 200Hz region by 5dB
- run all that through a tape saturator plugin

That tone cannot be salvaged, but if you're set on trying anyway then do this:

- reduce the 4.5k-9k region, that's where all the fizz resides
- your mids are way too scooped, do a broad 6dB boost around 1k
- boost 200Hz region by 5dB
- run all that through a tape saturator plugin
Uhh.. the spectrum is already exactly the same as on AJFA(yeah metallikka scooped heavily on that album) so how does fiddling with eq help :bah: Or do you mean this eq before distortion? Or Is source DI track unsalvagable? Please clarify

1. Desperately looking for help yet unwilling to change.
2. Using an amp sim dialed in a way which shittily emulates a shitty tone.
3. Harsh sounding transistor/triode distortion not smoothed by a transformer and speaker sounds harsh? That doesn't make sense.

Let's try a different approach. What are you looking for? If you ask me, you've already found it.

Looking for a good high gain sound. I couldnt manage to achieve it, perhaps someone else can and describe how to do it? Like with the DI track i provided.

Wizard?

THIS SHIT IS NOT MAGIC.

You have to learn by trial and error. And if you don't want to learn by trial and error, then it wouldn't even matter if someone told you how to record great tone, because it still requires trial and error at that point.

Ok so how do i fix source? Give me a bone here, something to chew on. I need to know what to do.

I matched EQ with Metallica's One, but my TH2 amp simulated guitar still sounds shitty and grainy.. what the hell do i need to do to get it sound decent Look at how smooth metallica's guitar is compared to me
First, you've got the input level on TH2 too high. When it get's too much input it starts farting like in your audio.
Second, have a look at how James Hetfield is playing his stuff. He's not playing like a little girl who is petting her guitar. He's fighting that thing. A big part of guitar tone comes from the hands. No Real amp could help you there. ;)

Watch Clark Kent's newer video, where he goes more in-depth and tells you how to clear the thingy by clicking on the grey area. I got grainy tones until I watched that as well, because I didn't know how to use snapshots properly.

Having said that, this technique isn't as perfect as it first seemed. If you play notes in a different range to the ones in the original clip, or change the tuning or whatever, it can sound weak or you can get odd phase-type sounds. Well-recorded normal impulses seem more reliable. It's great fun to play with though, and some tones have their uses.