Great sounding records withOUT samples

Brooks

Eyes Wide Open
Nov 15, 2001
Bay Area, California
skloid.blogspot.com
Instrument sampling and protools ampblasting has made metal records louder, bigger, and more intense than ever before (many thanks to Maharishi Sneap). But it's not the only way to make metal sound huge. Samples are great for cutting through a mix, but to me, nothing beats a great miked and well-tuned drumkit, being played by a great player, sitting in a great mix.

What are some of your favorite modern (or not) metal/hard rock records without the drum samples that this forum holds so dear?

I think that all of the records on my list are sample free. if I'm wrong, then let me know, but these all sound huge to me!

Symphony X - V: The New Mythology Suite
Tool - Lateralus
Nevermore - Dreaming Neon Black
High On Fire - Blessed Black Wings
Red Hot Chili Peppers - Blood Sugar Sex Magik
Flaming Lips - At War with the Mystics

Yeah, that TOOL album, and the last one (10.000 Days), have one of the best and original drum sound I ever heard. Brilliant!!

all of the slipknot albums (mainly the self titled though)

all of system of a down (mainly first album)

limp bizkit, chocolate starfish...

i don't think any of those drums are sampled, let me know though, i'd be really surprised.

Hey guys, 70% of the albums you quoted have samples in them : Deftones, last Tool, Opeth, A Perfect Circle, Slipknot, Limp Bizkit, Clayman by In Flames...

Well I'm pretty sure the last Slipknot album doesn't have any samples on it, as I read something about the recording, in a magazine, and it said the drums were all natural.

I'm pretty sure some of the mixes Mr. Sneap did on Roadrunner United doesn't use samples and sounds amazing, check the song Annihilation By The Hands Of God, I maybe wrong.

There will probably be some kind of backlash/trend kill in the next five years regarding the use of drum samples, which will upset some people including me.

On reflection It'll be like putting a big 80s hair snare in your current metalcore song, mixing up your tough guy black ESP pose, codpiece and fishnet tights. Nice!