Great sounding records withOUT samples

I'd still probably guess drum samples featured somewhere along the line in most of the albums mentioned so far.

Who cares if samples are used? I don't think anyone would use them if they made drums sound that much worse. Fair enough some people can overdo it, but most of todays great drum sounds would have at least some kind of sample reinforcement along the way.

I'd just like to mention that I absolutely LOATHE the snare sound on 10,000 days (or at least Vicarious, the only song I have off of it) - that ringing just makes me cringe every time I hear it.

Hey guys, 70% of the albums you quoted have samples in them : Deftones, last Tool, Opeth, A Perfect Circle, Slipknot, Limp Bizkit, Clayman by In Flames...

Last Tool album? Apart from the electronic samples (mandala pad), all natural drums!

Last Tool album? Apart from the electronic samples (mandala pad), all natural drums!

Tool seems so fussy about getting a perfect "drums in the room" sound I'd be shocked to find any sample replacement on the kit anywhere in their catalog. I love their drum sounds. Same with A Perfect Circle (about the drum sounds, not sure about sample replacement.)

Some of my favorite hard rock records without drum samples:
King's X- Dogman. Great record. The guitar tone is pwnage, too- rackmount Recto slaved into Mesa Simul 295. Probably the heaviest single coil tone ever comitted to tape.

Gov't Mule- Dose, The Deep End, Deja Voodoo- again, they're big on tracking as much of the band live in the room as possible.

Soundgarden- Superunknown. Just an amazing record throughout. Absolutely top-notch production, great drums, mindblowing vocals, and a killer mix. Great room sound all over this one.

Iron Maiden usually has great, natural drum sounds. They've managed to hold out with their '70s "track the whole thing live to tape" aesthetic through the big hair overproduced '80s scene (tell me Powerslave or 7th Son doesn't sound like it was recorded 10 years before it was. Just great, dry sounding mixes.) and the current Pro Tools/Beat Detective/sample replacement production style. IIRC, they don't even play to a click. (And it shows!)

As far as metal stuff goes, I like My Dying Bride's mixes. It's the total opposite of most modern mixes- huge, roomy drum sounds, one guitar track a side, no click, and it sounds great. I doubt those records have ever seen a sample. (Well, don't know about the new one; haven't heard it yet.)

Death's The Sound Of Perseverance has huge, natural sounding drums as well. It's been a while since I've listened to it, but I distinctly remember that as having one of, if not the most natural sounding kits I've ever heard on a death metal record. I can't say for sure, but I doubt there's samples involved. I could be wrong, though- Opeth has shocked me with that one in the past.

Whoever mentioned Katatonia gets a big :headbang: from me. Last Fair Deal Gone Down has some great drumming on it. Nice natural sounding drums, too.

Grip Inc. has some astounding production all around. There's some obvious sample replacement on their last one, not sure about the others. Just massive tones and great drumming from Mr. Lombardo. I don't know about the samples, but they're all analog, which is pretty cool.

Nile gets points for only using a kick sample. No compression, either, as per Neil Kernon. (It's on his forum!) Considering what they play, that's fucking astounding. :OMG:

Well I'm pretty sure the last Slipknot album doesn't have any samples on it, as I read something about the recording, in a magazine, and it said the drums were all natural.

Haha. Are you talking about "The Subliminal Verses" or whatever? If any of their albums are sampled it is THAT ONE. Listen to track 2-- you know the one where the toms sound like kick drums. If those aren't samples, I'd be REALLY surprised. The Ross Robinson Slipknot albums probably SHOULD HAVE been sampled since that snare is very "unique".

Haha. Are you talking about "The Subliminal Verses" or whatever? If any of their albums are sampled it is THAT ONE. Listen to track 2-- you know the one where the toms sound like kick drums. If those aren't samples, I'd be REALLY surprised. The Ross Robinson Slipknot albums probably SHOULD HAVE been sampled since that snare is very "unique".

You mean the extra drums, that ARE actually big toms? :lol:

Does anyone of you know if they (or he, producer/guitarist Rob Caggiano) used samples on Anthrax' "The Greater Of Two Evils"? Charlie's drums on that one (and the live-record "Music Of Mass Destruction") are absolutely über-awesome.

And how about Testament's "The Gathering"? Lombardo always sounds so naturally in my ears, but because of Andy doing the mix, I'm not sure that there aren't samples. "Reign In Blood" on the other hand is more than 20 years old and I still love the sound on that one. "South..." and "Seasons...", too.

And how about Testament's "The Gathering"? Lombardo always sounds so naturally in my ears, but because of Andy doing the mix, I'm not sure that there aren't samples.

The Gathering is very sample heavy. There's been information on it posted here before by both Andy and James. IIRC, the kick is a mixture of "Monster" and "Fusion" from the Alesis DM4. The toms are entirely samples, as well.

Anyone know about 'The Odyssey' by Symphony X?

Using nothing but my untrained ears, I can guarantee that The Odyssey is sampled, as is Jens Bogren's Paradise Lost.

However, as per my original post, V: The New Mythology Suite has an AMAZING mix that is sample free. Just listen to the Death of Balance (Lacymosa) for some drum solos that couldn't have possibly have worked with samples.

The sound of a good room is just TOO crucial for the vibe that a good band needs. There's no plug-in that can recreate that (unless Logic8 is really that sick :loco:)

BTW: Jens did the new Katatonia, which undoubtedly had sampled drums. HOWEVER, I've got to say, I think that The Great Cold Distance sports the best sounding sampled drums I've ever heard! That includes other Jens mixes.... he just nailed it on TGCD... listen to those naked toms in the first track...

The Gathering is very sample heavy. There's been information on it posted here before by both Andy and James. IIRC, the kick is a mixture of "Monster" and "Fusion" from the Alesis DM4. The toms are entirely samples, as well.

Thanks for the info. I put it on again and it's really sounding much heavier than the usual Lombardo sound (Slayer, Fantomas etc.).

I really dig the drum sound on "The Gathering" but I like the more natural sound even more.

If I remember correctley Mnemic's last two (at least) have been completely sample free. The drums don't sound exactly natural, because they're compressed absurdly hard, but I really dig the sound they got.

Wasn't Miasma by BDM largly sample free? I think at most the bass drum was replaced. Also, I have nothing to back this up, but the last two albums by The Red Chord sound pretty damn natural to me.

If I remember correctley Mnemic's last two (at least) have been completely sample free. The drums don't sound exactly natural, because they're compressed absurdly hard, but I really dig the sound they got.

Wasn't Miasma by BDM largly sample free? I think at most the bass drum was replaced. Also, I have nothing to back this up, but the last two albums by The Red Chord sound pretty damn natural to me.

the drummer for the redchord sounded the exact same live as on the new album, and he wasn't triggering. the man is a beast.