Great sounding records withOUT samples

metal kick drums have no dynamics, thats the way its supposed to be. it is impossible to play every hit with the exact same dynamics when playing fast double bass ect. using sound replacement or triggering or what ever you want to call it is pretty much essential to making a good metal album.

edit.... If you follow the bottom link on my sig, i recorded the song hanging hearts with no samples what so ever it sounds pretty good!!!......

Not to bring this thread back for debate or anything, but Albini did the last ZAO album ( The Fear...) and it was very metal. However I will say that as a fan of most of ZAO's records I thought the organic sounding production on the newest one left something to be desired at points. Kind of muddy and sloppy sounding, but the fact that they took a chance is cool and the album has a cool, unique, atmosphere about it. My copy shipped with a making of DVD and it was a pretty cool watch, there is a point when they are discussing the St. Anger snare sound thats pretty funny.

I'd say that drum replacement is in most cases a matter of creating a sound instead of covering up a lousy drummer. I know a couple of really talented drummers, but they still use relacement on their recordings beacuse todays sound, and the really fast agressive music requires that. That's just my opinion.

I'd say that drum replacement is in most cases a matter of creating a sound instead of covering up a lousy drummer. I know a couple of really talented drummers, but they still use relacement on their recordings beacuse todays sound, and the really fast agressive music requires that. That's just my opinion.
yes... for consistency of dynamics so the low end remains solid and doesn't jump around... because even good drummers can't really pull that... so yeah.. exactly what i said.

Yeah, true.. its just a matter of taste also i gues..
I lately have been enjoying the non drumagogged albums i listen to alot more, and when i switch to something that was drumagogged i feel like i'm not listening to a band but machine doing its work.

just jumping in on natural sounds, surely Metallica's self titled album was a benchmark for modern natural metal tone, especially the power and sound of the drums all done in the days of analogue!!

As far as I know, Randy Staub used samples blended with the natural sound. Anyway the end result is WAY better than the drumagog era.

Have you guys heard Motley Crue's self titled album? Those are the best drums tracks I've heard so far IMO. Everyone should chceck it out. And if you find something better...I'd like to hear it.

as i have already said... put up or shut up.. post your metal mixes that use no samples.... get to crackin'.. mixes, not words... do it, or zip it.

yes, it's very possible.. with a stellar drummer and a good engineer.... but i wanna hear all of you that pontificate about sample-free metal mixes to show me what ya got.... Killer sounding sample-free metal mixes will do the talking... and the bullshit will do the walking..... don't wanna see lists of examples from yester-year.. i wanna hear modern examples of your own work.

as i have already said... put up or shut up.. post your metal mixes that use no samples.... get to crackin'.. mixes, not words... do it, or zip it.

I liked this drummers playing style so much that I decided not to use samples. I'm not saying that it's the best mix ever but at least it sounds modern to me. Check it out:

http://www.diseaseofthenation.com/music.htm

I would also like to add that I'm not against using sample replacement. I just try to avoid it when possible. Most of the time it's not.

lol..... i love this kind of thing.... internet stress councilors.

you might take note of the fact that i used no exclamation points ("!"), or CAPS, or italics or cursing, which are the only four ways to even begin to make judgment that someone is not relaxed... and even those are unreliable.

i made a request out of being quite tired of reading guys on here preaching about "no samples" with no mixes to back up what the are saying... because i've said it before in this tread, and i'll say it again: show me a killer metal mix with no samples and i'll show you a killer drummer... and i didn't yell.. or curse... or over-punctuate.... so yeah..... :Smug:

I liked this drummers playing style so much that I decided not to use samples. I'm not saying that it's the best mix ever but at least it sounds modern to me. Check it out:

http://www.diseaseofthenation.com/music.htm

I would also like to add that I'm not against using sample replacement. I just try to avoid it when possible. Most of the time it's not.

Mix sounds pretty cool in general.

1934_fuck_off.gif