Great sounding records withOUT samples

see you guys are guessing, painkiller sounds triggered to me and does Perfect Circle even, but who cares?

I agree. Good drum sounds are good drum sounds regardless. It doesn't much matter to me if there are samples in the mix or not. I think a hotter topic would be albums with samples that still sound completely awful, there seems to be plenty of that.

I agree. Good drum sounds are good drum sounds regardless. It doesn't much matter to me if there are samples in the mix or not. I think a hotter topic would be albums with samples that still sound completely awful, there seems to be plenty of that.

Or albums that sound blatantly sampled, and completely unrealistic.

I think triggers are the best thing since sliced bread....

Also
Meaning just because "blank" sounds not like a compresed to fuck sample that you would use for a shitty bedroom cover that it "HAS" to be a real drum set. this is not the case , especially with the older stufff people are mentioning. Also I'd reckon a good drum sound is a good drum sound that's the end of the story really how you get there doesn't really matter.

Steve Albini gets the best drum sounds IMO.

You may use sine wave and/or pink or white noise with gate side-chains on drums, not samples but reinforce nonetheless. So if you guys can´t even agree on wich album used samples or not does it even matter? Super-clicky kicks?! You can make that acoustically, platic beater, loose skin, pad, D112 pointed at the beater, pretty close. Unless the samples were obviously missused it´s almost impossible to guess.

Artistic decisions are never wrong.

Well the only metal album that I own of albini is zao-the fear is what keep us here, which comes with a studio footage dvd. But I think that this album sounds seriously really bad, except for the vocals and bass... I know it was 100% analog on tape, but matt bayles does the same thing and have a way better sound than him, just my 2 cents...

Agree with you. Metal is not his cup of tea, definetely. But I was thinking pure, un-sampled acoustic drums. Search around for his discography, Wikipedia has a bit, his drums sounds on most pop/rock albums he did are amazing, again, this is my opinion.

In Metal I really like Colin Richardson drum sounds. Andy Sneap makes the ultimate metal snare IMO. Really awesome.