Greek & Latin Blog

Zephyrus

Tyrants and Slaves
Jan 18, 2006
Maine or Iowa
If any of you are interested in the kind of work I do, namely Ancient History and Classical Languages, you should check out this new blog I started up that tracks the progress of my latest project I'm undertaking with a professor of Equine Sciences.

Please offer feedback on my translations if you'd like. I've got a length passage from Homer's Iliad ready to go and will post it probably tomorrow or the next day.

http://classicalhippology.wordpress.com/

I'll keep the link in my sig for future reference.

I'd like to see some kind of an epilogue on the history and dispute between Plato and Aristotle. Just an idea. I always wonder where you stand (what your views are and what philosophers you like) in the field of philosophy as a History major.

I'd like to see some kind of an epilogue on the history and dispute between Plato and Aristotle. Just an idea. I always wonder where you stand (what your views are and what philosophers you like) in the field of philosophy as a History major.

The basics are that they disagreed in their time but much later in the third and fourth centuries there was a big effort by the Neoplatonists to reconcile the two. That effort in turn impacted the thought of the Middle Ages, to the point where you have people like Thomas Aquinas basically worshipping Aristotle and Dante composing a cosmology that is the perfect marriage of Aristotelian rationalism and Neoplatonism.

You know what's kind of sad? I have an M.A. in philosophy yet Zeph probably knows a lot more about ancient philosophy than I do. It's also kind of sad that I have an M.A. in philosophy.

I had no idea hippology was an actual academic field.

It's not. I'd call it my own neologism but it's been used before.

You know what's kind of sad? I have an M.A. in philosophy yet Zeph probably knows a lot more about ancient philosophy than I do. It's also kind of sad that I have an M.A. in philosophy.

It's basically this:

n123701472_30518466_9432.jpg

Yes, of course. That's why I started going to grad school in the first place.

The idea of forms is great. I'm about to write a book about it and the fundamentals of thought in any kind of intelligent being.

Nope. Seventeen. I can remember you saying how it scared you that we were the same age or something?

I think intelligent beings of all kinds think in forms, forms being extremely innate concepts that are the fundamentals of meanings. Forms are a basic concept that identifies something with its properties. Having the form "door" in our heads is what has us immediately understanding that a door is something to be opened or closed that is meant as an entryway.

I think intelligence in a way is the capacity to expand, change, and associate forms. My cat would know that a door can be opened by pulling on it with her paw whether it had an x of tape on it or not, while this one robot I read about only opened a door when it didn't have an x of tape on it.

Of course, you could study the ancient Babylonian and Egyptian texts that they based their philosophies on, and skip the middle men. Those are just harder to come by.

Just because I write a book doesn't mean it's going to be good or get published.

Just teasing you, homeboy (or girl? what the fuck are you anyway?)

Of course, you could study the ancient Babylonian and Egyptian texts that they based their philosophies on, and skip the middle men. Those are just harder to come by.

You always have hidden knowledge, bro. How can I be like you? Why does the Man always have to pull the wool over my eyes?

I'd hold off on writing an entire book until you've explored the fuck out of the entire Platonic corpus and a shitload of the secondary literature, considering the fact that there are basically volumes of pertinent commentary for every single passage Plato wrote.

Cool blog. I don't pretend to know the first thing about Greek or Latin, but this is yet another thing I can use for motivation to get off my ass and learn some.