Greek & Latin Blog

Do you ever think of becoming a professor?

Yes, of course. That's why I started going to grad school in the first place.

Yeah, that's pretty much the reason anybody goes on to graduate school in Classics, Humanities, Philosophy, English, etc. With glorious hopes and dreams of becoming a tenured professor, fresh out of a top twenty school with his or her doctorate and having just published a groundbreaking dissertation on a Lacanian, poststructuralist account of Alison Bechdel's Fun Home, or some ridiculous shit like that.

Unfortunately, that's not very many of us. As of right now, the only way I'd go on to get my PhD would be if the school offers me a stipend and I already have another job lined up. If I pursue the doctorate, it's because I want to, not because I expect a job out of it.

Unfortunately, that's not very many of us. As of right now, the only way I'd go on to get my PhD would be if the school offers me a stipend and I already have another job lined up. If I pursue the doctorate, it's because I want to, not because I expect a job out of it.

Well, I'm sort of in that same boat. I might go for my PhD, but only if I get into one of my top programs and then only if they offer me decent funding. I suspect that there's a distinct possibility that it could happen, but I'm in an extremely competitive discipline, so who knows...

I'm not even going to bother to apply to any "safety" programs at this point, because I would like a decent shot at a job if I went for my PhD. I don't care enough about having the PhD title next to my name to do more school yet end up with no shot at a good job. As far as the goal of simply continuing my education, I have enough training in my discipline to be fruitfully autodidactic at this point.

That's kind of my strategy too, Chris. Last time I aimed too high at grad programs, and this time I'm aiming a little lower since it will be for just an MA, and then use that as a stepping stone to the top tier. I should be able to have decent employment along the way since I've already snagged an adjunct teaching position this Fall, fresh out of getting a BA.

That's really cool that you got that job. That's pretty much unheard of in philosophy; you usually have to have a Master's or an equivalent amount of coursework as far as I can tell.

Agreed, that's great Zeph. I'm trying to secure an adjunct position right now too. Unfortunately, I have no professional teaching experience, so I'm trying to spin something out of my work experience and hopefully provide a convincing enough resume and cover letter to earn me an interview.