Green Carnation album for a buck

Justin G

Jul 28, 2007
Northern VA
www.facebook.com
I just noticed this and thought I'd pass it along. You can buy Green Carnation's 1-song, 60-minute album Light of Day, Day of Darkness on Amazon for $0.99 as an MP3 download. That's an hour of innovative prog metal for a single dollar.

If anyone is interested, here is the link: [ame]http://www.amazon.com/Light-Day-Darkness/dp/B001KNODSG/ref=mb_oe_o[/ame]

If bands really love their fans, they should release whole albums as "songs" and make them like this :).

Definitely worth the .99 for anyone who wants this album, but doesn't want to buy the CD. Great freaking stuff from Green Carnation.

The latest Moonsorrow album is like a $1.40 on Amazon, because it's only two long songs as well.

~Brian~

I actually bought it from The End since it was on special like last week. Course, that's when I found out Amazon had it really cheap. I'm still better off with the CD tho, since there are some places I can use it that I can't use MP3s.

In all instances, for me, having the real CD is better than just having a file. I do have mp3s...but most of them are for albums I already own, or plan to own.

Hah! Guess I didn't realize that's how Amazon priced the music. So Crimson from Edge of Sanity would also only by 0.99? Guess someone didn't think it through when they were coming up with the pricing! :lol:

Not to turn this into a technical discussion, but I recently created a bunch of audio CD's from mp3's I got from Amazon and eMusic....and the sound on these basically blows in my car stereo compared to other actual store-bought CD's. Is this to be expected? Is there maybe a difference depending on the software or the blank CD-ROM used? Thoughts?

Hah! Guess I didn't realize that's how Amazon priced the music. So Crimson from Edge of Sanity would also only by 0.99?

No, basically someone just messed up with the Green Carnation song/album. I would guess that it's up to the label or digital distributor to tell Amazon how they want long songs to be priced, but this album was probably sourced through a lazy distributor and so Amazon's system just gave it the default treatment of 99 cents per song.

Edge of Sanity's "Crimson" avoids this because the version that Amazon has for sale is a multi-track version that comes to $7.92 either if the 8 tracks are bought individually, or if it's sold as a complete "album".

The correct way to long songs is to declare some tracks "album only", which means you can't download those tracks individually; they must be purchased in a single transaction along with all the other tracks on the album. The new Dream Theater is handled this way, for example. Sometimes this album price is simply the per-track price multiplied by the number of tracks, but often it is lower than that (for albums with many tracks) or higher (for albums with very few tracks).

It's funny that Green Carnation actually provides a good example of this. Amazon has two instances of "The Acoustic Verses" there. Both are identical in content, but one is simply $0.99 for each of the seven tracks, and the "album" price is even cheaper, $4.98 (a $1.15 discount for buying the whole album, Amazon declares!) Presumably the digital distributor told Amazon nothing except that this is an "EP", and so they gave it a cheap album price (even though it's 43 minutes long). For the other instance, the two longest tracks are declared "album only", so you're stuck with buying the whole thing as a package. But worse, the album price is $8.99, which is over $2 MORE than the individual tracks would be.

The cheap version comes from The End (as does LOD,DOD). The expensive one comes from Sublife Productions, who was the primary label for that release, and apparently they're a little more conscientious when distributing their catalog digitally. But of course it doesn't matter when both instances sit side by side right there for the customer...the $4.98 version means that no one will ever pay for the $8.99 version!

Sorry for the long-winded boring details, but this sort of thing actually presents a bit of a moral conundrum for me.

The $0.99 price for 'Light of Day, Day of Darkness' is basically a fuck-up. So from a moral perspective, is there really any significant difference between "buying" the album for $0.99 vs. downloading it for free? Either way, it feels like cheating.

Still, it's the album of the millennium, so go buy it for $0.99 if you don't have it already!

Neil

I recently created a bunch of audio CD's from mp3's I got from Amazon and eMusic....and the sound on these basically blows in my car stereo compared to other actual store-bought CD's. Is this to be expected?

No, I wouldn't say that's to be expected. The CD should sound exactly as good as the mp3s do, which, unless you're in an extreme minority, should sound exactly as good as a store-bought CD. You (technically) lose something any time you go from CD to mp3, but not the other way around.

What kind of CDs did you create? Redbook-format compact discs, which can be played on any CD player? Or did you make a CD-ROM full of mp3 files, and have a car stereo that can read and play mp3s off of a CD-ROM? If it's the latter, I suppose it's quite possible that your car stereo simply has a crappy mp3-decoder. If it's the former, I can't think of many reasons why it would sound bad, unless there is something wrong with the software on your computer that you used to decode the mp3s to PCM and then burn it to disc.

Or, maybe the albums that you burned just happen to have crappy production? :loco:

Neil

No, basically someone just messed up with the Green Carnation song/album. I would guess that it's up to the label or digital distributor to tell Amazon how they want long songs to be priced, but this album was probably sourced through a lazy distributor and so Amazon's system just gave it the default treatment of 99 cents per song.

Edge of Sanity's "Crimson" avoids this because the version that Amazon has for sale is a multi-track version that comes to $7.92 either if the 8 tracks are bought individually, or if it's sold as a complete "album".

The correct way to long songs is to declare some tracks "album only", which means you can't download those tracks individually; they must be purchased in a single transaction along with all the other tracks on the album. The new Dream Theater is handled this way, for example. Sometimes this album price is simply the per-track price multiplied by the number of tracks, but often it is lower than that (for albums with many tracks) or higher (for albums with very few tracks).

It's funny that Green Carnation actually provides a good example of this. Amazon has two instances of "The Acoustic Verses" there. Both are identical in content, but one is simply $0.99 for each of the seven tracks, and the "album" price is even cheaper, $4.98 (a $1.15 discount for buying the whole album, Amazon declares!) Presumably the digital distributor told Amazon nothing except that this is an "EP", and so they gave it a cheap album price (even though it's 43 minutes long). For the other instance, the two longest tracks are declared "album only", so you're stuck with buying the whole thing as a package. But worse, the album price is $8.99, which is over $2 MORE than the individual tracks would be.

The cheap version comes from The End (as does LOD,DOD). The expensive one comes from Sublife Productions, who was the primary label for that release, and apparently they're a little more conscientious when distributing their catalog digitally. But of course it doesn't matter when both instances sit side by side right there for the customer...the $4.98 version means that no one will ever pay for the $8.99 version!

Sorry for the long-winded boring details, but this sort of thing actually presents a bit of a moral conundrum for me.

The $0.99 price for 'Light of Day, Day of Darkness' is basically a fuck-up. So from a moral perspective, is there really any significant difference between "buying" the album for $0.99 vs. downloading it for free? Either way, it feels like cheating.

Still, it's the album of the millennium, so go buy it for $0.99 if you don't have it already!

Neil

Thanks for the awesome explanation Neil! Had a feeling something was too good to be true.

I have seen the templates that Amazon forces upon vendors to upload products... its like 7 excel tabs wide, with many HUNDREDS of lines of data to be entered in each tab. It is NO surprise to me that some stuff falls through the cracks. The templates blew my mind when first pushed onto my desk.

Not to turn this into a technical discussion, but I recently created a bunch of audio CD's from mp3's I got from Amazon and eMusic....and the sound on these basically blows in my car stereo compared to other actual store-bought CD's. Is this to be expected? Is there maybe a difference depending on the software or the blank CD-ROM used? Thoughts?

Scott,

I burn CDs from Amazon and Emusic files all the time and have never been able to tell a difference in quality. I'm not some "tech geek", but I think a lot this "loss of quality" is a bunch of jibberish. That's simply my opinion. :kickass:

~Brian~

No, I wouldn't say that's to be expected. The CD should sound exactly as good as the mp3s do, which, unless you're in an extreme minority, should sound exactly as good as a store-bought CD. You (technically) lose something any time you go from CD to mp3, but not the other way around.

What kind of CDs did you create? Redbook-format compact discs, which can be played on any CD player? Or did you make a CD-ROM full of mp3 files, and have a car stereo that can read and play mp3s off of a CD-ROM? If it's the latter, I suppose it's quite possible that your car stereo simply has a crappy mp3-decoder. If it's the former, I can't think of many reasons why it would sound bad, unless there is something wrong with the software on your computer that you used to decode the mp3s to PCM and then burn it to disc.

Or, maybe the albums that you burned just happen to have crappy production? :loco:

Neil

Not sure what is meant by Redbook-format...this would be an "audio CD" for playing in audio players, not a CD-ROM with a bunch of mp3's on it. I don't know if the albums have crappy production because the mp3's are the only thing I have (I don't have the regular store bought CD to compare against). It just seems that the quality pales in comparison to other albums that I have on CD.

Scott,

I burn CDs from Amazon and Emusic files all the time and have never been able to tell a difference in quality. I'm not some "tech geek", but I think a lot this "loss of quality" is a bunch of jibberish. That's simply my opinion. :kickass:

~Brian~

What software are you using to burn? In these instances, I used Easy CD Creator Basic, a complimentary version provided by Dell Computer Corporation on my laptop. I normally use an old version of Musicmatch on my other tower computer.