Green Carnation performs entire 'Light of Day, Day of Darkness' @ DOTE

General Zod said:
LOL. If you have a chance to listen to the new one, "Blessing in Desguise", it's well worth it. I don't think too highly of LoDDoD either, but their new one (which is much different) is quite strong.

Zod
The Quiet Offspring is the latest one. Blessing in Disguise is their release prior to TQO.

Britt

The ten year bump. This might be a record, man.

Damn. Has it been so long?

Friday, earlier during the show, I started thinking about what band could Glenn bring that would really surprise me, and make me excited. My first thought was Green Carnation. When I got to the line in the announcment that said, "one song" I knew it was LoDDoD.

Necrobump.

If only! This thread is so old, that the OP (Adrian Bromley) is literally dead. :(

But now that we're here, let's revisit *my* hopeful/prophetic quote:

The only bad thing about that show is that it decreases my odds of showing up for PPVII, since now Glenn now missed his chance and won't be able to announce "Green Carnation's First North American Appearance, Where They Will Play All Of Light of Day, Day of Darkness". Well, at least an In The Woods... reunion show is still in play (and boy would *that* be a huge draw!)

So yeah, apparently Glenn passed over Green Carnation for PPVII, instead deciding to jam an "X" into those Roman numerals and waiting for PPXVII, where he could announce "Green Carnation's First Post-Reunion North American Appearance, Where They Will Play All Of Light of Day, Day of Darkness". Obviously he recognized that "reunion" shows provide more bang-for-the-buck, and, playing the long game, knew that GC would break up and reform 7 years later, so it was better to hold off on bringing them to the ProgPower stage. That's a promoter with vision!

Unfortunately, my even more insane wish of an In the Woods reunion show is actually more in-play than it was 10 years ago, given that In the Woods has actually reformed too! But you couldn't book them too?! WTF Glenn! :loco:

If only! This thread is so old, that the OP (Adrian Bromley) is literally dead. :(

Green Carnation bidding farewell to Bromley 2 mornings after Day of the Equinox:

mpbgc.jpg

Damn. Has it been so long?

Friday, earlier during the show, I started thinking about what band could Glenn bring that would really surprise me, and make me excited. My first thought was Green Carnation. When I got to the line in the announcment that said, "one song" I knew it was LoDDoD.

Yep. I saw "One song....one album..." and as Derek T. is my witness, I yelled "oooooh, noooooooooo!" in shock and amazement. And then cheered and screamed like a little girl. Voice is still fucked up.

The Toronto performance was spectacular. In place of the... uh... "orgasm solo", they had an awesome theremin/sax battle. I'm excited to see what they do this time.

I was wondering about that. Theremins are nifty...and would be a ProgPower USA first, I'm pretty sure.

There are folks in the 10-years-ago thread expressing negative opinions on this album...have those opinions changed? Or is this still a "meh" thing for y'all?

I, personally, love this album. Can't wait. Probably got my biggest reaction during the announcement video. I plan to wear my Light of Day t-shirt to the show.

There are folks in the 10-years-ago thread expressing negative opinions on this album...have those opinions changed? Or is this still a "meh" thing for y'all?

I, personally, love this album. Can't wait. Probably got my biggest reaction during the announcement video. I plan to wear my Light of Day t-shirt to the show.

I have not, and probably will never, understand those people.

What do people think of the rest of their discography? I rate Acoustic Verses right up there with Light of Day as a masterpiece. Their debut Journey To The End Of The Night is pretty weak, just ends up coming across as a poor man's In the Woods. Rather just listen to Omnio. Blessing in Disguise would be my third fav album, not at the level of Light of Day or Acoustic Verses but a quality album. Quiet Offspring is an average album, their most streamlined album and one which really failed to consistently deliver that soul crushing melancholy which Green Carnation do best. Though there are still some great tunes on there.

It looks like folks = Zod saying the album is overrated. I doubt he's changed his opinion.

Acoustic Verses is fantastic, and they played most of it as an encore when I saw them on their failed US tour 10 years ago. "The Burden is Mine Alone" is my second favorite of their songs ever, behind "Lullaby in Winter."

Light of Day absolutely still holds up this many years later, though. God damn. I listened to it this morning while doing my forecast, and it's just breathtaking still.

I downloaded it and gave it a spin this morning.

I guess there was a reason why I didn't buy in the 1st place, but it isn't awful. It's just meh.

I'll spin it a few times over the year to get more familiar and to see if anything clicks.