Green Carnation performs entire 'Light of Day, Day of Darkness' @ DOTE

Green Carnation performs entire 'Light of Day, Day of Darkness' @ DOTE

For the first time in three years Norway’s GREEN CARNATION played the entire 1-track, 60+minute epic Light Of Day, Day Of Darkness to an enthusiastic crowd that gathered at this year’s Day Of The Equinox festival on Friday October 14th in Toronto, Canada.

The 7-piece outfit played a full 80-minute set of material from their past album Blessing in Disguise (2003) and latest offering The Quiet Offspring before launching into the massive undertaking of performing the critically acclaimed masterpiece from 2001.

“It was a special treat from us to the fans," said Green Carnation singer Kjetil Nordhus about the playing of ‘Light Of Day...’ “We knew it would be a long set, and we came from so far away, so we knew this had to be a special night. And it was!”

Andreas Katsambas, owner of The End Records who was in attendance, commented, “I would like to thank all of the bands that came out and put on some great performances for the festival. Their unique styles made this a special event. And of course, it was great to see Green Carnation play the 2 hour set that included the entire Light Of Day, Day Of Darkness album. Day of The Equinox was a real success and I hope to see this become an annual event that will grow with each year.”

Green Carnation’s founding member/guitarist Tchort offered these thought on DOTE: “It was great to be a part of a great music festival, with a great lineup and a professional approach to running things. We were also amazed that fans traveled from as far as Japan and El Salvador to see us play. Aside from the foreign fans and those from Canada, many came upfrom Boston, Philadelphia, New Jersey, Atlanta and Arizona. We had a great time in Toronto, Canada – it was great to take in some sightseeing and good times with our friends and fans.”

He concludes, “I want to personally thank promoter Noel at Inertia Entertainment and Adrian Bromley (Unrestrained!) for making this happen. You took care of us – ‘Thank You’ from all of us in Green Carnation. Plus, I want to thank Andreas Katsambas (The End) and Chris Bruni (BW&BK / Profound Lore Records) for all the support over the years.

“We’ll see you all on tour real soon.”

Also on the bill at DAY OF THE EQUINOX was Agalloch, Deceased, Novembers Doom, Unexpect and Woods Of Ypres.

Photo Gallery
You can check out the photo gallery from DAY OF THE EQUINOX (courtesy of Mark Coatsworth @ UNRESTRAINED!) here:

http://www.dayoftheequinox.com/galleries.html

Pellaz said:
Dangit, whoever went up there from Atlanta shoulda brought me along, stuffed in a suitcase* or something.

-=-=-=-
* to be sure, it would need to be a BIG suitcase

Sorry, but I was traveling light-- just a backpack and small checked bag.

Awesome, awesome show-- one of the best I've seen as far as complete package, great fans (sound familiar?), great city.

It was similar to Progpower sleep-wise-- I think I had 14 hours of sleep in 72 hours, 3 nights of heavy beer intake, and an awesome post-show party the following night with November's Doom/Green Carnation mingling around.

If this becomes annual it'll be yet another event I'll go to without fail.

Great job Mister Pink Bunny/Unrestrained! Magazine & Noel/Inertia Entertainment-- and thanks to all the bands and North American fans that went. See you next year or somewhere in between.

I considered going to this, but chose not to. The fact that they played this entire disc, makes me feel all that much better about my decision. Had this CD been 12 songs, instead of one, this overrated disc wouldn't have received 1/10th the hype.

Zod

testofwills said:
Well then u missed history in the making...not only did they play a greatest hits for 80mins they ended it with there masterpeice...This band sounded so professional live they blew the place apart..

Exactly-- I went in a 50/50 GC fan and was completely sold.

Light of Day, Day of Darkness was sure interesting when I picked it up a few years ago. I loved the instrumention. Tchort is a very gifted songwriter. They would probably be one of my top 10 bands but I don't care much for the singer. That said, I'd still love to be at a concert where they played the whole song/album! Maybe they'll release a DVD of it someday...

NP: Savatage - Power of the Night

General Zod said:
I considered going to this, but chose not to. The fact that they played this entire disc, makes me feel all that much better about my decision. Had this CD been 12 songs, instead of one, this overrated disc wouldn't have received 1/10th the hype.

Zod

HELL yeah.

This post just got me $5.00.

I made a bet that Zod would post one of his standard "throw ice water on the discussion" messages, and bingo!

zekeyou said:
They did most of the Quiet Offspring as well.
Cool. This is a fest I would have like to have attended. However, not one I was willing to travel to. And for the record, I don't dislike LODDOD. I just think it's single track format created a lot of unwarranted hype.

Zod

General Zod said:
I just think it's single track format created a lot of unwarranted hype.
Sure, if you stick to the narrow definition of "hype", which is record label and promo people talking stuff up. After all, the promo sheet basically writes itself for an album like this, and it's bound to be attention-grabbing.

I actually stayed away from the album for a while after it was released (even though it sounded totally up my alley, being a huge ITW... fan) because I figured a lot of the raves *were* just hype.

But once it got out to the fans, then they truly loved the album because it's an amazing piece of music, not because it's a single track, or because there were 6 children's choirs on it, or because it was recorded on 4291 audio tracks. And at that point you can't call it "hype" or "overrated". It's just something other people like a lot more than you do.

The only bad thing about that show is that it decreases my odds of showing up for PPVII, since now Glenn now missed his chance and won't be able to announce "Green Carnation's First North American Appearance, Where They Will Play All Of Light of Day, Day of Darkness". Well, at least an In The Woods... reunion show is still in play (and boy would *that* be a huge draw!)

skyrefuge said:
But once it got out to the fans, then they truly loved the album because it's an amazing piece of music, not because it's a single track...
To be clear, my poiint is that the fans of this disc overhyped it.

I'm sure there are those that think this disc is the cat's meow. And that's cool. I completely accept the fact that there are CD and/or bands that I just don't get or that don't appeal to me. However, I got the distinct impression that there were those that jumped on the bandwagon, and overhyped this CD, because its format was fairly unique. Obviously, this is only my perception, and there's nothing concrete I could offer to back it up.

Zod

For anyone interested, the Toronto set list:
Childs Play 2
Crushed To Dust
Just When You Think Its Safe
The Quiet Offspring
Boy In The Attic
Rain
Into Deep
Dead But Dremaing
Between The Gentle Small
Lullaby In Winter
Myron And Cole
Purple Door, Pitch Black
Childs Play 3
Light Of Day, Day Of Darkness

This is rare for me.........I normally prefer to keep my mouth shut as opposed to saying purely negative things, but I really have to speak up on this one...... I bought the Green Carnation disc after stellar reviews and I was extremely disappointed. I would rather see someone like Three Doors Down. They are 100 X more interesting. In fact, that was even a bad comparison as I like TDD better than most radio rock bands and I like most radio rock bands more than Green Carnation. Green Day is more interesting.... there is a good one.....

Bryant

Bryant said:
Green Day is more interesting.... there is a good one...
LOL. If you have a chance to listen to the new one, "Blessing in Desguise", it's well worth it. I don't think too highly of LoDDoD either, but their new one (which is much different) is quite strong.

Zod

General Zod said:
To be clear, my poiint is that the fans of this disc overhyped it.

I guess it all comes down to how you define "fans". In my view, a "fan" can't overhype something, because a fan truly does like it as much as they say they do. If someone does overhype something, then they aren't a fan, they're, uh, an overhyper.

And so perhaps the problem is that the number of metal fans who truly love atmospheric, expansive compositions like LoD,DoD is still quite small. Bands like (early) Green Carnation, In the Woods..., (early) Opeth, Empyrium, Forgotten Silence, On Thorns I Lay, etc., seem to only attract a tiny portion of the overall metal fanbase. But for those of us who *do* like that kind of music, LoD,DoD is nearly perfection, so maybe the superlatives coming from those fans were *so* strong that they unwittingly leaked to those outside the boundaries of that style of music, and thus, the album reached the mainstream metal audience, ending up in the hands of a lot of people who just aren't fans of that sort of thing. Which is unfortunate, but it doesn't mean the fans were being dishonest, they were just assuming there were more people out there like them than there actually are.

All that said, I've listened to Light of Day, Day of Darkness every morning for the past four mornings, and I think anyone who doesn't like it has to be retarded or something. :)