Green Carnation performs entire 'Light of Day, Day of Darkness' @ DOTE

I downloaded it and gave it a spin this morning.

I guess there was a reason why I didn't buy in the 1st place, but it isn't awful. It's just meh.

I'll spin it a few times over the year to get more familiar and to see if anything clicks.

I had a slightly divergent reaction. I listened to it in 2001 and really didn't care for it much. I listened to it Tuesday after getting it on amazon, and it left a much better impression. More listens are definitely required, and the barrier for entry is still high, but nothing made me say no.

all that said, I've listened to Light of Day, Day of Darkness every morning for the past four mornings, and I think anyone who doesn't like it has to be retarded or something. :)[/QUOTE]

I agree!!Something wrong with the emotional side of peoples being. This bands music has helped me through so much pain and misery, words will never describe. Meeting these guys and how down to earth they are got me through some troubled times. I posted many years back on getting this band on the bill and my prayers have been answered!!!!!God bless, Green Carnation!!

What do people think of the rest of their discography? I rate Acoustic Verses right up there with Light of Day as a masterpiece. Their debut Journey To The End Of The Night is pretty weak, just ends up coming across as a poor man's In the Woods. Rather just listen to Omnio. Blessing in Disguise would be my third fav album, not at the level of Light of Day or Acoustic Verses but a quality album. Quiet Offspring is an average album, their most streamlined album and one which really failed to consistently deliver that soul crushing melancholy which Green Carnation do best. Though there are still some great tunes on there.

The lineup on Journey was pretty much In The Woods..., anyway. Can't really fault Tchort/GC for it sounding like ITW.... (four periods, cause... well... that damn ellipses and one more period for good measure.)

The only one I don't love as a whole is The Quiet Offspring.

Most to least favorite:
Acoustic
LoDDoD
Blessing
Journey
Offspring

I'm glad I got the Burden Is Mine EP when it came out since Transparent Me and Six Ribbons weren't included on the AV album release.

Have any of you listened to Sordal's solo band? Kenneth and Tommy are also in it, and they put together some great stuff. Check out Blah Blah, Goin' Home, and 187

I've been listening to this one a lot since the announcement. Does anyone, more familiar with their stuff than I am, know if they've played this kind of a show before? I assume so, but wondering nonetheless.

And do they typically bring a few guest musicians along on stage, or use a lot of backing tracks? I'm really impressed with some of the instrumentation and I'm wondering how that might translate to a live setting. Similarly- the female vocal section in the middle of the song...

I've been listening to this one a lot since the announcement. Does anyone, more familiar with their stuff than I am, know if they've played this kind of a show before? I assume so, but wondering nonetheless.

Well, yeah, read the first post in this thread, titled "Green Carnation performs entire 'Light of Day, Day of Darkness' @ DOTE [Day of the Equinox Festival in Toronto, in 2005]". But it's been a long time (and that might have been the last one?)

I know they also did it at Wacken in 2002, and I feel like they did it a handful of other times in the intervening years, but don't have documentation. Anyone have a complete list?

I think Day of the Equinox was fairly unique, since they did it as the "encore", after what would have normally been counted as a complete 13-song festival set. I don't know if anyone else knew about it, but to me it was pretty much a "holy shit, are they really doing this?!" surprise.

In 2016 it looks like they're trying to do it at as many festivals as they can. They already have at least two other fests booked, though ProgPower is announced as a US exclusive.

And do they typically bring a few guest musicians along on stage, or use a lot of backing tracks? I'm really impressed with some of the instrumentation and I'm wondering how that might translate to a live setting. Similarly- the female vocal section in the middle of the song...

In Toronto, the female vocal section was replaced with a theremin/saxophone solo. They surely must have included some stuff that was pre-recorded (in this interview, they mention only being able to bring over one keyboard on the plane to Canada, where they had used 4 previously), but hopefully the 8 band members in the photo posted in this thread, along with the re-jiggering of the solo, indicate the effort they go to to rearrange the song into a truly "live" version.

In short, it was awesome, and while ProgPower won't have that surprise and exclusivity that Day of the Equinox had, it will likely have better preparation/production, and most importantly, more than the 50 people who stayed 'til the end!

I don't know how planned out it was, or at least publicized. I was told the day of the show by Adrian Bromley (Mister Pink Bunny), but he told me in that wink wink kind of way. So no, it wasn't announced in advance.

Great show though.

Incidentally, at Adrian's memorial (also at The Opera House in Toronto) there was a lull between bands and they played all of Light of Day, Day of Darkness to an hourlong photo presentation of Adrian's life and long reaching friendships.