Green Carnation - Light of Day, Day of Darkness

dill_the_devil

OneMetal.com Music Editor
I was looking through the reviews I'd done for UM, partly for nostalgic reasons, mainly because I'm a self-congratulatory bastard. But anyway, I ran across ex-UM boss Mark Bridgeman's review of this album, and remembered how much I liked it, and started playing it again. Suffice it to say, I'm not moving from the PC for the next 52 minutes.

Anyone else have fond memories of this album? Anyone not heard it yet?

It's the most impressive execution of an artistic vision that I've ever seen. The only thing I'm aware of that's on the same level is Peter Jackson's film adaptation of "Lord of the Rings". For both, the goal is so high, the challenges are so great, and the opportunities for failure are myriad. So when they not only failed to fail, but actually succeeded so brilliantly, the success seems further magnified by the memory of the risks they overcame.

And yeah, that even includes the wailing banshee part.

Also saw 'em play the whole thing in Toronto a few years back, so nyah.

Neil

Just a superb album, it was at the top of my rotation for a long time upon it's release.

The part with the wailing girl is definitely tedious, but believe it or not, sometimes it's one of the most important pieces of the puzzle for me. Other times, yeah, it does grate on my nerves a bit so go figure.

Jason

That album is very nostalgic for me. I listened to it the most during the spring that I met Derick, also the last days before I ran off to Maryland, which were also the last days before my grandmother died. When I listen to it now it makes me want to go back in time and change a thing or two. Why, I'm just playing it my head right now and I feel like crying :/

Damn, everyone still complains about that interlude, probably the same people who skip Great Gig In The Sky every time. :) OK, so the caterwauling is more annoying on LOD, DOD than there, but I've come to accept as a necessary part of the composition.

I do feel that that the female vocals are a definite low part, but they're not deadly to the composition. Despite that, however, I love the fact that Tchort doesn't just pile random riffs atop one another throughout the album, but instead actually develops the themes introduced throughout the piece. Amazing songwriting, and an excellent album.

One of my favorite records of all time. When it was first released, it was literally the only thing I listened to for weeks. I proclaimed it to be the most ambitious rock and roll album of all time. For me, that still stands true. Amazing, amazing, amazing.

:kickass::headbang::kickass::headbang::kickass::headbang::kickass:

it was quite excellent back then and i bet id like it now possibly even more. fans of that album must check out later In the Woods (Omnio) if they havent done so.

i didnt mind the female vocals too much

its a really great album for nighttime driving, i used to listen to it a lot going between the coast and the valley. i fastforward the sax/chick part pretty much everytime. partially because its annoying and crappy, partially because some of my favorite parts are soon after and i cant wait through that bs. havent gotten into any of their other albums though.

Actually, me neither. What's the best GC album to go onto if you like this one?

The debut is pretty good. thats where i found them, mainly because of the ItW connection.

just expect very long songs, of course and more female singing, though not in that annoying wailing way. actual singing i think by the in the woods chick and the tristania chick

i never ventured further than loddod

Actually, me neither. What's the best GC album to go onto if you like this one?

The first one, "Journey To The End Of The Night" is certainly the most similar, and while it's good, it's nowhere in the league of LoD,DoD. That's another reason for the "Lord of the Rings" comparison: Peter Jackson had done a few things before LotR, but nothing that would have predicted what he was able to do with those films.

After LoD,DoD, they turned into a normal band, and while those two albums (plus an acoustic one) are good for what they are, it's a completely different approach and style.

However, Tchort was talking about some sort of ideas he had for LoDDoD parts II and III in the last couple years, and now that the band-form of Green Carnation has been destroyed, maybe he'll go back to the solo composer mode again. There's probably no chance of them living up to the original, but it's the best hope we've got right now.

Otherwise, yeah, I generally recommend ItW's "Omnio" as the next best thing.

actual singing i think by the in the woods chick

Yeah, and she of course is also the one doing the wailing on LoDDoD. To me, it sounds almost exactly like the wailing she did on In the Woods...'s "Mourning The Death Of Aase", and I absolutely love that song, so I guess it was natural for me to like the part in LoDDoD too.

Neil