Green Carnation - The Quite Offspring

Nate The Great

What would Nathan do?
May 10, 2002
www.ultimatemetal.com
I know we have another thread for this somewhere, but I just got the promo and I don't feel like looking for the other thread.

This CD is surprising. A lot of people were calling this disappointing, but I'd say it blows away A Blessing In Disguise. Quite Offspring is a little more ambitious and a little more prog (in a 70's way). Don't listen to this thinking you're getting anything very heavy, though.

Anyway . . . a nice surprise.

Blessing in Disguise.. while actually a pretty good album, was a big let down for me compared to the rest of their stuff.. I heard several tracks from the new one and thought it was a good surprise, yeah. I enjoy all the bits o' prog and whatnot. Its not as straightforward as the last, definitely a good thing.

I want to hear this, as well as A Blessing in Disguise. Anyone think they can top Light of Day, Day of Darkness? Methinks not...

I dont care for their 60 minute opus... but I quite enjoy "Blessing In Disguise"... I'm looking forward to hearing the the new album.

"The Quiet Offspring" is one of the greatest dissapoitments ever.
Nate: How do you find it prog (70s prog too)? Blessing was 70s to the bone, this one is just .. NOTHING. Im interested to know what prog elements you found in this one, because honestly, all i listen is simplistic poor riffing/melodies.
It's greatest musical ideas are 10 times worst than the less interesting "A Blessing In Disguise" melody. I cant believe they released such a crap. No inspiration, no emotions, N-O-T-H-I-N-G.

"Light of Day, Day of Darkness" was incredibly overrated. If had been broken down into 10 seperate tracks, I doubt it would have garnered half as much praise. "A Blessing In Disguise" left me flat. The songs just weren't that good. However, I really like "The Quiet Offspring".

Zod

IOfTheStorm said:
"The Quiet Offspring" is one of the greatest dissapoitments ever.
Nate: How do you find it prog (70s prog too)? Blessing was 70s to the bone, this one is just .. NOTHING. Im interested to know what prog elements you found in this one, because honestly, all i listen is simplistic poor riffing/melodies.
It's greatest musical ideas are 10 times worst than the less interesting "A Blessing In Disguise" melody. I cant believe they released such a crap. No inspiration, no emotions, N-O-T-H-I-N-G.

I just don't understand your comments. Blessing was just "nothing" to me. Offspring has a ton more emotion, and the song structure is actually interesting on every song. I'm not saying Blessing is a pile of crap, but Offspring just blows it away. I like the melodies on Offspring. They write songs they way the did in the 70's . . . good riffs, good melodies, interesting song structures, nice meaningful guitar solos, etc. I'm not saying they play 70's prog like Rush or anything . . . more like Zepplin (if you consider that prog).