growls low in the mix

With a different line-up music will sound different. Opeth really pulled out the stops for the softer tracks. Burden is incredible and Hessian Peel is wonderful.

Granted, I'm still enamored with The Lotus Eater and Heir Apparent because when they did throw the growls in they were excellent.

Who knows, next album we may see something along the lines of Deliverance in terms of vocals.

I didn't realise they were low in the mix, I realised that they were few and far between but even in that case, the music itself isn't easy on the mainstream audience and I have witnessed that first-hand.

On another note, Still Life wont leave my head alone!

When does it ever leave? Hasn't left me yet, and it's been.... too long.

I don't really see that the volume of the growls makes a big difference. It still sounds like any opeth album to me, the growls sound like they're at a fine mix I don't see how you can nit-pick something like that so much and be so concerned with it.

I agree. The first time I heard it, the only lowdown was the growls being to low in the mix. I can live with it tho, plus in certain speakers/airphones it sounds allright. But still, wtf, his growls deserve to be thundering.

Definitely their most dynamic record, and not just in songs, but song to song. That's why Coil into Heir is imo the highlight of the record. I definitely think Mikes vocals are easily the best yet, and not just in grows, but the cleans he's trying a lot more techniques, and he's just improved overall. As far as growls I think Heir Apparent is his most crushing, and best yet hands down. And as I said before the vocals are more leveled making them a part of the whole instead of dominating taking away from the instruments where in a band like this you want to hear everything, which is the exact reason why the production is the way it is. It just makes more sense. Also how the mix is they are IN NO WAY BURIED, and are still crushing.

IIRC, dont you preffer music without growls in general?