GSSL Clones.

he's awesome, best support ever.
I bought my 1176 almost a year ago and he's still helping out with any questions.
just having him change the input tranny and he's doing that for super cheap, too.
highly recommended

Added him immediately on FB;) afraid to forget about it...

I have the strange feeling that a preamp is going to ebay for one of these:eek:

If everything goes well, this comp would be my first real outboard piece.

I think it fits the thread, somehow, but would you recomend the 1176 or GSSL for the start?
I use the 4k(UAD) with passion, just as the 1176 UAD plug. But at this point I would go for the GSSL, it seems a little bit more versatile for me, mostly because of the 2 bus awesomeness.

1176 is my beloved Snare and BD and vocals snapper, but I don't use this for teh 2bus...

pointers would be very very apreciated.
(if it's not ok, I'll delete this post and maybe open a new thread?!)

Gretz

FYI guys, I've just released the SB4000, which is a redesigned next gen version of the GSSL. I'm actually building one up for lolzgreg. Info/ordering can be found on the prodigy forum here:

http://www.prodigy-pro.com/diy/index.php?topic=40755.0

It features everything the GSSL had with the following additions:

1) Simplified Wiring/Assembly
2) Integrated (switchable) Stereo Sidechain (aka Turbo Mod), so it reacts like the original SSL Console, the Gyraf GSSL version used a mono sidechain unlike the original, which resulted in overcompression of mono signals (ie: bass)
4) High Pass Filters (60/90/120)
5) "Tilt" Low Cut/High Shelf Filters (similar to on the API 2500)
6) additional 900mS release time
7) Bargraph In/Out Meter (really useful for getting your inputs levels right and adjusting makeup gain)
8) -90dbu Noise floor (GSSL's noise floor was -80dbu max)
9) Mono or Stereo External Input (For ducking, etc)
10) Whole thing fits in a 8" deep enclosure

FYI guys, I've just released the SB4000, which is a redesigned next gen version of the GSSL. I'm actually building one up for lolzgreg. Info/ordering can be found on the prodigy forum here:

http://www.prodigy-pro.com/diy/index.php?topic=40755.0

It features everything the GSSL had with the following additions:

1) Simplified Wiring/Assembly
2) Integrated (switchable) Stereo Sidechain (aka Turbo Mod), so it reacts like the original SSL Console, the Gyraf GSSL version used a mono sidechain unlike the original, which resulted in overcompression of mono signals (ie: bass)
4) High Pass Filters (60/90/120)
5) "Tilt" Low Cut/High Shelf Filters (similar to on the API 2500)
6) additional 900mS release time
7) Bargraph In/Out Meter (really useful for getting your inputs levels right and adjusting makeup gain)
8) -90dbu Noise floor (GSSL's noise floor was -80dbu max)
9) Mono or Stereo External Input (For ducking, etc)
10) Whole thing fits in a 8" deep enclosure

My mate ordered these PCBS without looking at yours. Begining to wish he had ;)

My mate ordered these PCBS without looking at yours. Begining to wish he had ;)

No worries, been getting alot of that though which is why I thought it'd be a good idea to mention it. I actually put a thread up about it here a couple months ago but guess it got missed by most.

To anyone else interested, here's a link to a pic of the unit:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4740474/SB4000_Production/SB4000-2.jpg

Just make sure you add the turbo board to your GSSL's though so the compression responds like the console and also add the CRC board for the power supply filtering, otherwise you noise floor will probably be less than acceptable.

I bought a clone from http://www.facebook.com/primeanalog . Super quality, good support. Lasse recommended him. Builds 1176 clones to.
I think i paid about 750€ for a SSl clone, but contact him for prices etc.

I got one of these ones after finding them on ebay.de

The build quality of these is excellent and is just like any product you could pick up off a store shelf.

Sounds great too.

He even shipped for free to the UK.