Guilty Pleasures: Rap/Hip-Hop... time to come out of the closet!!

Papa Josh

Minister of Propaganda
This thread is because I know I'm with at least some open minded folks here at RC. Now, having grown up in "rougher" areas most of my life, and being around cultures of all types down here in Houston, TX as well as Austin, TX, I 've found I relate to alot of stuff in rap/hip-hop music.

I LOVE music, first and foremost. So, before you go on with the "rap sux, rap teh gay, etc., etc.," wrap your head around that thought.

I like some country music. It's nigh impossible to escape in Houston. They more "poppy" country music coming out these days just blows, but some of it is real good while drinking or hanging out. That being said, the Rodeo Cook Off is a helluva good time.

Oh, and rap sucks.

I was flicking through the channels tonight and caught some hip-hop video, and it got me thinking: Is there any other music out there that reflects the artists 'real life' as strongly as this? I mean, hip hop very rarely fluctuates from the topic of ghetto street life: drugs, booty, fat fucking pig cops, money, gangstas, fast cars, and so forth. Rappers don't give a fuck about religion, politics, or dragons.

I went through a hip hop phase in the late 80's - I went to a black school pretty much. Of late, it's become quite poppy (but that's because I'm only subject to what I see on tv), but back in the day, bands like Public Enemy, Boogie Down Productions, and Erik B & Rakim were making all the soundwaves. Those bands were much more aligned with the civil rights ideology and so forth.

I do enjoy some Hip Hop artisits immensly, like Tribe Called Quest and Slick Rick for example.
But this has to do with writing good catchy songs, I am a sucker for a good hook ... no matter if it is Death Metal or Hip Hop.

Shit ... I used to listen to Debbie Gibson and Paula Abdul in JHS ... beat that :)
Now that is tr00 !!! :)

I've gone through a few phases where I've listened to some hip hop, it has usually been related to hanging out with someone really into it and some rubbing off on me. I can't say I listen to it much right now, but I have nothing against good hip hop. The problem is, most of what I currently hear makes me cringe. I don't like the stop/start, chaotic shouting style. The question I always ask is, "what happened to flow?"

Most rap, especially modern crap, makes me physically ill. Exceptions: Stereo MCs, Beastie Boys, Jurassic 5, and I have a buddy that subjects me to the Roots, Arrested Development, and other such groups which are pretty cool.

And I fucking love the Oakridge Boys, Johnny Cash, and Bonnie Raitt.

I really dig OutKast. They are funny, funky and are different from the 'Nelly' Rap Crap that's played too often.

Others I like:
Swollen Members
NWA
Tribe Called Quest
Cyprus Hill

The sounds of 80's rap is fantastic. I loved the hard edge anti-establishment and anti-white propaganda of their music.

One of my favourite tracks of all time is 'Straight Outta Compton' by NWA - awesome.

NWA's "Straight Outta Compton" and Public Enemy's "She Watch Channel Zero" are really heavy tracks. Heavy in a thrashy kind of way. I liked the Anthrax cover of "Bring da Noise" too.

While Metal makes up the majority of what I listen to, I do listen to music from a variety of genres, including Jazz, Blues and what is often referred to as World. However, I find very little that I like about Hip Hop. I'll occasionally hear a song, often in a movie, that I think is pretty cool. But I wouldn't say there is any particular artist whose songs I enjoy on a regular or even semi-regular basis.

Zod

i will enjoy the occasional rap song (mostly old school), but never more than "ha, yeah, that's a cool track" and immediately forget it. country music, on the other hand, blows nuts. i get enough right-wing christian redneck suthun' boys around here... i sure as hell don't want to hear it in my music.

if i had a choice to annihilate two genres of music from the face of the earth these would probably be these two. r&b close behind.

I've heard lots and lots of hip-hop and rap, because I have two brothers who listen to that crap. I can honestly say I hate it all. They both (The younger one's more hardcore, though) listen mostly to swedish underground rap, and sat that MTV crap isn't hip-hop which I think I could agree with.

A funny thing is, really old-school hip hop is laughable even to people who like other hip hop, but the old gold of Metal never dies.

I listened to some rap when I was 9-10 something myself, but I'll never admit that.

Papa,

I do have some old school rap cd's still in my collection. Cypress Hill, Public Enemy, NWA. Still a big fan of the Beastie Boys. Nothing better than white boy jewish rappers that could actually write real songs too...

At work everyday, we are forced to listen to top 40 music, and the first few times you hear one of these new rap songs, they are bearable, but so damn repetitive. Makes me cringe to hear songs 7 or 8 times a day, that all sound the same. I will admit there are very few new rappers out there that can write good hooks, 50 cent is one of them. Some of his songs are pretty catchy, if you ignore the message.

Just my 50 cents on the subject. heheh

Evil C...