Guilty Pleasures: Rap/Hip-Hop... time to come out of the closet!!

Ugh, 50 Cent is the reason I moved out of my roommate's house, that fucking birfday song was on ALL THE FUCKING TIME!!!! He played 311 constantly too, which was terrible, but that 50 Cent shite is what pushed me over the edge.

rap sux, rap teh gay, etc., etc.

The only thing I can appreciate with some older hip-hop is that it has a certain sense of authenticity and honesty that should be present in all good music. Now, that alone doesn't make it good music though.
Sorath said:
I listened to some rap when I was 9-10 something myself, but I'll never admit that.
Hah! You do know you will not live to hear the end of my ridicule?

Awww fuck, 50 Cent is godawful!! The only reason he has done anything is due to the "white boy." I love Ja Rule's new cd cuz he talks tons of shit about those two. :D

There is an underground out there that is really good, but only to those who would appreciate it.

Scarface, Geto Boys, Tupac Shakur still classics.

Down here in Houston though, you gotta give it up for Z-RO.

The best, pure and simple. A lyricist with loads of flow.

Erik said:
The only thing I can appreciate with some older hip-hop is that it has a certain sense of authenticity and honesty that should be present in all good music.
Yeah, that's what I was trying to say. Regardless of whether you like it, at least you can't accuse it of being 'manufactured'. Old school that is.

Erik said:
You do know you will not live to hear the end of my ridicule?
I did know taht when I sad it but fixu
i dont deny but i knwo it was no good u listened to 2 unlimited!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11111111
i had one album and on single bu infinite masssssssss but traded against guns 'n' toses \m/

Dreamlord said:
I like some country music. It's nigh impossible to escape in Houston. They more "poppy" country music coming out these days just blows, but some of it is real good while drinking or hanging out. That being said, the Rodeo Cook Off is a helluva good time.

Oh, and rap sucks.

well wipe that damn dust from your eyes then and you'll be able to see your way outta that valley.....and you'll also be able to see Dimmu Borgir is much crap.

Dreamlord said:
well wipe that damn dust from your eyes then and you'll be able to see your way outta that valley.....and you'll also be able to see Dimmu Borgir is much crap.

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight...I was quoting your post because I was going to say that and it saved time, not to make fun of you if thats what your thinking. And Dimmu Borgir is not crap whether I'm "un-tr00" or not for liking decent music.

oops, didn't see the purple line. so you think some country music is OK? I personally don't own any country CDs, but it's not bad while at work.

Papa Josh said:
I just don't get it...

What is so awful?

I've never been able to listen to rap for a second. The things they sing about are ridiculous to me and I don't wanna hear the nonsense they ramble about, especially when there is no musical talent to back it up. I haven't heard any of the "old-school" rap you speak of, but I doubt I'd give it a listen anyway as I just can't stomach the stuff. Most of the people around here listen to rap and they are generally a bunch of morons who irritate me to no end. That coupled with the fact that the lyrics blow goats and there is nothing pleasing to my ears coming from that nonsense is why I have a profound hate for rap. If you like it then thats fine with me. I'm not going to persecute you for listening to rap, I just don't know why anyone would to be honest.

Rappeth17 said:
I've never been able to listen to metal for a second. The things they sing about are ridiculous to me and I don't wanna hear the nonsense they ramble about, especially when there is no musical talent to back it up. I haven't heard any of the "old-school" metal you speak of, but I doubt I'd give it a listen anyway as I just can't stomach the stuff. Most of the people around here listen to metal and they are generally a bunch of morons who irritate me to no end. That coupled with the fact that the lyrics blow goats and there is nothing pleasing to my ears coming from that nonsense is why I have a profound hate for metal. If you like it then thats fine with me. I'm not going to persecute you for listening to metal, I just don't know why anyone would to be honest.
Oh I'm just a stinker. :loco:

All that matters is that you don't like it, enough said. Just like music you like, all that matters is that you like it.

NAD said:
Oh I'm just a stinker. :loco:

All that matters is that you don't like it, enough said. Just like music you like, all that matters is that you like it.

He asked why it is awful and I told him. I don't expect him to change his views, but he got an answer. And its quite obvious that its only an opinion on music which is something everyone has and is something that likely won't change. It seems like your giving me a lecture on opinion because I was getting too heated in my rant. :lol: Its simply an answer to his question with a fair amount of generalizations, trust me, I'm intelligent enough to not get into a debate about opinion so there's no need to calm me down :D

I listen to some rap/hip-hop. A lot of the early stuff like Grabdmaster Flash and Herbie Hancock in his hip hop days. And for entertainment value I also listen to Eminem and ICP, as well a Cypress Hill and the Fugees for nostalgia :)

And they aren't guilty pleasures, I openly admit I listen to them. I can't say I'm bothered in the slightest if people use their prejudices to decide I have no taste in music. But note, I never claimed they were good music ;)

Opeth17 said:
He asked why it is awful and I told him. I don't expect him to change his views, but he got an answer. And its quite obvious that its only an opinion on music which is something everyone has and is something that likely won't change. It seems like your giving me a lecture on opinion because I was getting too heated in my rant. :lol: Its simply an answer to his question with a fair amount of generalizations, trust me, I'm intelligent enough to not get into a debate about opinion so there's no need to calm me down :D

The key word here would be "GENERALIZATIONS." :D