Guilty Pleasures: Rap/Hip-Hop... time to come out of the closet!!

i have snoop doggs first album 'doggystyle' and if you ask me thats really the only rap album you need. its the one that everyone has been ripping off ever since. the music and the beats are actually interesting rather than just monotonous thud thud thud like a lot of hip hop is. i also got dr dre - chronic 2001 as a gift once and it has a few ok songs as well. and ICP was pretty fuckin funny in their prime middle couple albums, and they have a movie thats a total classic: Big Money Hu$tla$. go see it now! but other than them id say rap has been total crap for a good 10 years. the soul is gone and the greed and materialism are all that remains.
-neal

Does indie rock or post rock count as guilty?

I'm a sucker for stuff like The Afghan Whigs, The Twilight Singers, Bright Eyes, The Dismemberment Plan...

I don't care if some rappers and DJs and whatever can do stuff that's difficult, the music still sucks. What matters isn't how hard something is to do, but how good it sounds. I hope I don't have to explain that further.

Sorath said:
I don't care if some rappers and DJs and whatever can do stuff that's difficult, the music still sucks. What matters isn't how hard something is to do, but how good it sounds. I hope I don't have to explain that further.
Of course, but if you were saying that it requires no talent then I'd have to disagree.

hey cool thread :D

im very oepn minded to music, and among my 3000 metal cds, you can find alot of rap and hip hop, alternative, rock, classic, Jazz and even dance.

a lot of band members that we like, listen to so many things, its unreal, one of my fav question in interviews, was "what non-metal cds you have?"

i can give you a long list of so many "celebrities" that had TOTO, Robbie Williams, Christina Aguillera, Destiny's child and so on...
i think its GREAT!

:)

Sorath said:
Well, even coming up with enough rhymes (Even bad ones) for a song, much less an album, takes at least a little talent/work.

I'm mixmasta E and I'm here to say
I'm the best damn rapper in the USA
Me and my crew we are here to stay
Cuz we do this thing in our very own way

actually, metal is famous for its lyrics. It's because of the lyrics that it garners the attention from various do-well groups, politicians, and other such like-minded individuals.

Not to mention that it's the lyrics that most non-metal listeners attack. I wish I had a dime for every time someone said "You listen to songs about ROOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAA, kill your mmother, fuck your dog, ra ra ra ra, ggggggggggrrrrrrrrrr slice, dice, rape ya sister real nice." or somethiong along those lines.

So yes, metal is famous for its lyrics. Infamous might be a better term, but famous nonetheless.

Dreamlord said:
actually, metal is famous for its lyrics. It's because of the lyrics that it garners the attention from various do-well groups, politicians, and other such like-minded individuals.

Not to mention that it's the lyrics that most non-metal listeners attack. I wish I had a dime for every time someone said "You listen to songs about ROOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAA, kill your mmother, fuck your dog, ra ra ra ra, ggggggggggrrrrrrrrrr slice, dice, rape ya sister real nice." or somethiong along those lines.

So yes, metal is famous for its lyrics. Infamous might be a better term, but famous nonetheless.

I believe Jay was being sarcastic, jackass.

But yes, the same stereotypes you mention in regards to metal are the same as the ones Erik came up with. Both very generic and stereotypical.

I thought Jay was saying that metal lyrics just tend to suck as a whole, and therefore metal is not famous for them. oh well....

Well, let's just put it this way, the intellect behind metal lyrics aren't the first thing that people think of outside the metal arena. I assume absolutely everyone with a TV has seen Spinal Tap by now? Yep, afraid to say it people but that's how we're viewed, like it or not.

And with regards to garnering "attention from various do-well groups, politicians, and other such like-minded individuals", ever heard of the 2 Live Crew and Body Count?

I wasn't saying metal is the only genre to become infamous for its lyrics. I was just disagreeing with your statement about metal not being famous for its lyrics, which it is.

And technically, Body Count isn't rap.

Dreamlord said:
I was just disagreeing with your statement about metal not being famous for its lyrics, which it is.
Well that doesn't make the lyrics any more worthwhile!

And technically, Body Count isn't rap.
Well, go to a Body Count / Ice T show and figure that one out. You'll see a lot more 'bling bling' and DMX shirts than you will Amon Amarth and Burzum. Unless of course Body Count are asked to headline Wacken next year alongside Saxon and Dio. :loco: