Guilty Pleasures: Rap/Hip-Hop... time to come out of the closet!!

As a whole, no genre of music has worthwhile lyrics.

And what fans wear to a concert is irrelevant. The fact is, Body Count isn't rap. True, they might have rap elements, but so does nu-metal. Hell, the song Cop-Killer (which was the entire reason they become known) wasn't even rap, nor was the MTV staple, The Winner Loses.

Dreamlord said:
As a whole, no genre of music has worthwhile lyrics.
I'd have to think about that one....

And what fans wear to a concert is irrelevant.
Shit, you could make an entire documentary out of concert antics, and the "metal shirt" will be high on the agenda. It's practically part of a uniform. Damn, even I will wear a metal shirt to a metal show.

The fact is, Body Count isn't rap. True, they might have rap elements, but so does nu-metal.
Correct, Body Count do not rap specifically. However, 'Rap' and 'Hip Hop' are very different. Nu-metallers might [attempt to] rap in their vocal delivery, but they are not part of the hip hop culture by any means, whereas Body Count are.

JayKeeley said:
Shit, you could make an entire documentary out of concert antics, and the "metal shirt" will be high on the agenda. It's practically part of a uniform. Damn, even I will wear a metal shirt to a metal show.
Exactly. Except I never wear metal shirts to metal shows.

I think death metal lyrics are infamous yes, but metal as a whole, no. Lyrics in death metal are pretty inconsequential though. I love At the Gates and Opeth lyrics because they are poetic and oftentimes awe inspiring, but Peter Tägtgren from Hypocrisy is one of my favorite death metal vocalists and his lyrics are extremely lame, and it doesn't matter.

I'd say the lyrics are at least half responsible for negative preconceived notions of metal, and on the whole metal fans spend as much if not more time condemning than defending them. And I agree about the uniform comment. Personally, I'd rather have the fans than the musicians holding a reverent attitude towards metal.

Demonspell said:
I'd say the lyrics are at least half responsible for negative preconceived notions of metal, and on the whole metal fans spend as much if not more time condemning than defending them.
General public's negativity towards metal:

Lyrics = 50%

Image = 35%

Fans = 15%

The fact is, most people who listen to metal are in their mid-to-late teens. I guarantee that most of these fans will abandon metal eventually.

Can anyone guess what that turning point is?

JayKeeley said:
Can anyone guess what that turning point is?
Ooh! OOH! Pick me!!!

When they finally realize how gay they are and cannot possibly keep up with metal's ever evolving nature?

No...? Damn.

:Spin:

I was going to say that. But I guess I held to much faith in those people, as to not abandon what they truly like for a piece of ass.

No, the answer is pussy. Chicks just make you more angry unless you're getting laid.

Nothing quite makes you gay like regular sex. :lol:

Bright colors so you look gay and non-metal. :D

I dress like a metal dude to non-metal shows. It's amazing how metalheads congregate when out of their element. Two dudes wearing Deicide shirts will find each other and talk all night at an Our Lady Peace show. :lol:

NAD said:
I dress like a metal dude to non-metal shows. It's amazing how metalheads congregate when out of their element. Two dudes wearing Deicide shirts will find each other and talk all night at an Our Lady Peace show. :lol:
I think that's supposed to be the idea at an actual metal show as well. Since there is so much genre discrimination, most fans will congregate depending on what shirt they wear. I went to ProgPower III and wore a Nile shirt on one day, and ended up speaking to three other DM fans who attended.

Besides, when else am I going to wear my metal shirts? When I'm buying diapers at Babies R Us? OK don't answer that.... :D

Babies R US is tr000000000000000000....

(this question was originally posted in the Brutal Death thread, whoops):

Aphex Twin
Somebody tell me about them, I saw one video and it ruled. Where do I start, one of you guys knows about them, I know it.

I dress like a metalhead all the time, including christmas and when I'm only at home and such. I didn't wear any evil bandshirts at work (taking care of old people, wtf is it called?) this or last summer, though. Even had my hair in a cute lil' ponytail, but since I don't own any clothes that aren't black save camo-gear, I had to go with black t-shirts.

Sorath said:
Even had my hair in a cute lil' ponytail, but since I don't own any clothes that aren't black save camo-gear, I had to go with black t-shirts.
All you need now is a pair of sandals, a poster of Capt James T Kirk, and you could pass as a computer programmer / IT tech support guy.

heh. no one likes the 50 cent? evil laugh.....

I am forced to listen to top 40 songs all day at work, and would gladly choose to listen to 50 cent over gawdawful nelly anyday. Which I am forced to listen to both, though. I am just saying, I prefer 50 cent to a lot of the other newer rap bands that are "popular"...Soon as the door closes for business, I pop the satellite right to the metal station, and freak out my employees....

Not saying I would ever go buy his damn cd or anything. They all have too much money anyway.

Josh, speaking of underground houston rap man. I am putting in an underground houston rap section, and could use your help on getting some good local artists in there.

manager also said I could get some local metal in the store, as well. Already got funeral rites there. any other suggestions? I also just got in some ELO live cd's for 6.99 if you are interested in them....

Evil C.

JayKeeley said:
All you need now is a pair of sandals, a poster of Capt James T Kirk, and you could pass as a computer programmer / IT tech support guy.
I mostly dress METUHL all of the time, but if I have a ponytail and wear my OpenBSD shirt and blue jeans I look like a total computer guy. Which I am, really. I'm a computer guy metalhead.