Guitar Amp Master Volume?

joelgtrnut

New Metal Member
Sep 5, 2007
Guys who mic up amps: What sort of range of master volumes are you finding yield the best metal guitar sounds (also translate the best in mix)?

In my own experience, I find the amount of tube saturation (if u have a tube amp) and the amount of speaker compression have a pretty dramatic effect on the high end of the tone. Lower volumes tend to be very fizzy on top, and when the amp gets massively pushed, the mids come way forward and the highs roll off a lot. In my experience I usually end up somewhere in the 30-40% range where I'm pushing a bit of speaker, but not destroying the paint on the walls. Thoughts/experiences?

There was a thread comparing master volume levels with a 5150 here somewhere. Try to search for it, it was rather interesting.

I like the around 3 area on my 5150, but I have the bias mod on mine, so the highs are dampened to some degree, at about 4 it becomes to much (and too loud). Average recording volume is actually a hair quieter than rehearsal volume.

I usualy record my triple recto at 2 o'clock. The point is actualy to see and hear at what level the speakers of your cabinet begin to react the way they should, they will sound different on different master levels. I like to hear my cab pumping and jumping all the way ))

Too low and the speakers don't get moving properly. As you crank it the power amp starts working a bit and you might have to drop the gain a touch depending on the amp. Too high and the power amp will start sagging, which sounds bloody awful for modern tight metal. Also you've gotta watch out for the speakers in your cab distorting. So it really all depends on the setup.

Your best bet is to record clips at a few volume levels and then normalise them and compare. I did 9, 12, 3 and 5 o clock on my XXX and found I liked 3 o clock best, so thats where that sits now.

Andy says he normally goes for just a bit quieter than rehearsal volume.

Edited for Harry ;)

Too low and the speakers don't get moving properly. As you crank it the power amp starts working a bit and you might have to drop the gain a touch depending on the amp. Too high and the power amp will start sagging, which sounds bloody awful for metal

I'd have to call into question how broad your view of metal is if you don't think power amp saturation isn't useful for metal. It might not be useful for the Nevemore/Arch Enemy type stuff, but to say it doesn't sound good for metal in general is just ignorant.
Believe it or not, but there are genres of metal that exist outside what the common Sneapster listens too;)

I usually aim for that sweet spot just before the speakers fart out and start flabbing 500hz into your face. Its usually just after that point where the volume becomes painful in the room.

When I've recorded here in the mix room, I've recorded as low as the amp would go whilst still making a decent sound. It was basically 0.5 on the Bugera.

I'd have to call into question how broad your view of metal is if you don't think power amp saturation isn't useful for metal. It might not be useful for the Nevemore/Arch Enemy type stuff, but to say it doesn't sound good for metal in general is just ignorant.
Believe it or not, but there are genres of metal that exist outside what the common Sneapster listens too;)

GAY :loco::D

Last couple of recto shoutout was recorded at really low volume (normal conversation volume) with loop on for push a little bit more poweramp amp... But I live in appartment:erk:

LIES

:lol:

Well when I say metal I'm referring to the modern tight KSE/Arch Enemy type stuff. Poweramp saturation is certainly useful for old school metal tones or doomy/sludgy tones. And of course rock tones.

Interesting thread. Gonna do some tests on my SE, since i've always sticked with approx. the same chan. vol / Master vol. settings (master was fairly low, and the ENGL tone is mostly due to the preamp and not the power amp IIRR).