Guitar Bridges

Cooperman

...to the rescue!!!
Apr 13, 2001
Virginia, USA
www.scourge-band.com
What's everyone's preference for guitar bridges?

I got really sick of the Floyd Rose on my Jackson so I've just had it converted to a tunomatic/string-thru body bridge setup. The difference is amazing. Heaps more tone and sustain and it just feels like a totally different guitar to how it was before.

The guy doing it took pics of the process along the way... http://members.iinet.net.au/~cooperft/guitar/

Cooperman said:
I got really sick of the Floyd Rose on my Jackson so I've just had it converted to a tunomatic/string-thru body bridge setup. The difference is amazing. Heaps more tone and sustain and it just feels like a totally different guitar to how it was before.

I currently own a Yamaha Pacifica 604W fitted with Wilkinson bridge and it's a nice guitar all round. But one thing on it bugs me to death and it's the often premature string breaking. Premature here means breakage in a first few days after restringing! :yell:
Anyway, the bridge itself is nice, low profiled, can be adjusted accurately and nicely, but there's something about its goddamn saddles that makes the strings pop... I should either replace them with Graph Tech saddles or buy a new guitar...

In all, I prefer the tunomatic/string-thru body bridge, for sustain and ease of use, but I'd like to have a good FR guitar as well. Did you notice how all respectable companies now have a PRS similar looking model with tunomatic/string-thru body bridge and 2 hums? :D It's become somewhat of a trend, Ibanez recently introduced its SZ line, Schecter's C1 Classic is very attractive, both in looks and features... And they're not expensive, what's important the most! ;)

Anyway, I'd like to get myself one of those Gibson Faded Flying V's, they go for just 630 bucks on Zzsounds or Musician's Friend! Look great and supposedly sound great, judging by Harmony Central comments...

The guy doing it took pics of the process along the way...

Nice Kelly ;)

looks like he's done a great job there! I like exactly what you've done, string through always seem to resonate better, I also found that putting sperzel locking tuners on made a nice subtle difference, because the string is clamped with hardly and wraps.

Yeah unfortunately the guy didn't have any gold sperzels and I needed the guitar for a gig - the timing was pretty tight in the end... he brought the guitar from his workshop straight to the gig and set the action backstage before I went on. As soon as I get sick of string winding I'll probably end up getting the locking tuners.

Funnily enough though there isn't that much string to wind... especially on the lower strings. I wanted the string through body holes to be angled like that but I also have a reverse headstock... so the length from the low E hole to the tuner is pretty damn long. He had some SIT strings or something laying around and when he checked with those the string wouldn't even reach the tuner. The D'Addarios that I normally use though were long enough.

On my Randy Rhoads Pro the bridge got destroyed by heavy corrosion (last show of a tour,
didn't cleaned the guitar afterwards and didn't opened the case for a week)
so I replaced it with a Schaller Floyd Rose (don't know the exact name) and it's way
better then the Floyd Rose.

I like the changes on the Kelly.