Please help me guys choosing guitar (floyd rose or not)

Sep 8, 2005
Hey guys, please help me in this one.

Im having this deal of a hellraiser with floyd rose for a very nice price, but i was looking at one without a floyd rose, because string-thru has more sustain and that stuff, and all my other guitars have floyd rose and this time want one without it, but to be honest i can´t resist to buy this one because the price,
what you recommend me??

To go for it, or to spend 100 bucks and buy it without floyd rose??

Thanks guys!

the thing here is the floyd rose is more expensive that the tunomatic bridge, but i saw the FR one in a pawn shop at a very nice price.

Floyd rose.

This "sustain" thing is shite.

Don't see dimebag having a problem holding notes....

Well, but if you didnt know this, Dimebag used Delays with Reverbs over them, and used hell of a lot of volume too(which gives a good kind of feedback).
But still, I agree, its such a minor difference, and I actually like the sound of floyd better, sence its not as "smooth"sounding as stringthrough.

Are you kidding me? It's common sense (and been proven) that a guitar with a Tune-O-Matic, hard tail, or string-thru ALL have more sustain and better low-end than a Floyd Rose equipped guitar. More sustain and low-end due to there 1) being more wood in the body and 2) the strings are more solidly connecting with the guitar body.

As for you wanting a guitar that isn't a FR equipped one...the gods have created the Tremol-No! It's simple to install and doesn't hinder the FR's performance at all if you still wanted to use it for dive-bombs only, or even if you want it to be full-float again. The options are 1) hard tail - where it completely locks and makes the bridge solid, 2) dive-only mode - obviously what it says, you can only dive-bomb with it, no pulling up, and 3) full-float - which is normal FR operation.

I had a couple of these back when I had guitars with FR's in them. I can't stand Floyd-Rose bridges...you break a string, you're FUCKED! You try and do unison bends...they will be out of tune. And I was actually pretty fucking good at setting mine up and could change strings extremely fast...still didn't want to deal with it. The cons outweigh the pros for me. Plus, with locking tuners, any guitar will have just as much tuning stability.

My $.02

~e.a

If it's a genuine Floyd Rose, then I'd say go for it, but if it's a licensed, you're probably better off without it unless you actually need the tremelo wankery. A Tune-O-Matic takes a little getting used to when you've played mostly with trems, but I find it's worth it for the convenience. They're easier to tune, easier to re-string and they have one less failure point, which is always a good thing.

i fucking hate floyd gash double locking wankstains.
i'll give you a restring race....
ready set....
oh i beat you....
always cause a nightmare for me in the studio too.
trems are gaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay

That's funny....I don't have any problems at all with my Floyd. :)

This is the kind of question you can't really ask. It's all a matter of opinion.
I love Floyds, but I certainly don't pretend that they are ultimately better than anything else, especially a fixed bridge. It's all opinion. If you want a Floyd, buy it, if you don't, buy something else.

By the way, several other seemingly meaningless build factors on a guitar can easily create more difference in the sustain versus a floyd over a fixed bridge.
I once compared my Floyd equipped Jackson SL2H against my buddies SL1T (tune-o-matic) when we were selecting a guitar for tracking. While my guitar definitely had more bite - nobody could tell any difference in the sustain. In fact, my guitar sounded much more lively and we both prefered it for lead sounds that day. I'm not saying Floyds sound better period, I'm just saying that under those conditions and considering what we were going for, it did. It's just silly to say that they sound like shit.

Thanks guys for the advices.

I like floyd Rose, but as elephant audio said, i think that a tunomatic has more to do in the sound for the strings, but maybe not, i want that guitar mainly for when i need to record, and i want an intense sound for rythms, for that i was between both, but cause the price the floyd rose is wining.

Personally I love what you can do with a floating Floyd but for straight rhythm tracking I prefer a TOM bridge. The main reason is that a floating bridge will change pitch just a bit as you palm mute. A single track won't be that big a deal but multi-track and you will have a problem with your tracks not all being in consistent pitch. However you can block the Floyd or use a Tremolo-no and keep it from moving during tracking.

String through all the way. I've been playing guitar for 13 years and was strictly a Floyd guy forever until I realized I never fucking use the damn thing. Sold all my Floyded guitars about a year and a half ago and I've never been happier!

I like to fuck around on a floyd, well, use to when I started. Now days I find the fixed bridge in my C1 to be mpre comfortable, especially when we're talkngi palm mutes. Much easier to find the sweet spot and adjust it.

where were you guys about 4 hours ago, Lol, i just sent the money for the floyd rose Hellraiser, but i take this decision because of the price , can´t really resist.

Personally I love what you can do with a floating Floyd but for straight rhythm tracking I prefer a TOM bridge. The main reason is that a floating bridge will change pitch just a bit as you palm mute. A single track won't be that big a deal but multi-track and you will have a problem with your tracks not all being in consistent pitch. However you can block the Floyd or use a Tremolo-no and keep it from moving during tracking.

All bridges change pitch when you palm mute, sence you are pushing the strings down you are affecting the "range" of the string.
But I guess you are talking about the effect of badly set upp tremolos? Like, when you are doing unison bends, and when you bend, the "basetone" aslo moves?
Because if youre guitar does that, you should adjust the spring tension by adding more springs, or the height of the tremolo + the whatyoucallit screws on the back of the guitar.

It is important to remember that the knife of the floyd should be alligned as close to the top of the guitar as possible, and the same goes for the bride nuts to the necknuts.
What I mean is that there should be a as straight line as possible nut to nut, and top of the floyd to top of the body.

The problem is that (with any floating setup) because you're adding tension to one string to bend the notes the others will lose some tension on their own. You can reduce this, but until you make it a hardtail it's going to be that way.

As for palm muting... I beat the strings like vintage farm equipment and throttle them until they break, and don't knock them out of tune. It takes a little time getting used to it but it's not hard to palm mute without sharpening everything because you're jamming the trem back.

Jeff

Of course there will be a change of tension, but I have close to perfect pitch(not trying to be smug), and I can atleast adjust the tremolo so I dont notice the change of pitch on the other strings while bending(I use 5 springs.). ;X

This is true, I use five springs myself (14-70 in C#), and I too have that annoying bit of perfect pitch that lets me know when things aren't in tune... I just also happen to be a math nerd.

Jeff