Guitar cab speakers for low tuned metal

Ericlingus

Prettiest Hair Around
Oct 31, 2006
anyone here use something else besides a v30 for low tuned metal? Is there a better option for 8 string guitars? V30's sound great to me but I guess I just want another option. I always hear V30's but not much else around here and was wondering if you guys have had success with other speakers especially for really low tuned metal. I want to buy a speaker for my Genz Benz G Flex 2x12 cab. It comes stock with it's own eminence speakers that some say sound like legends other say sounds like v30s. They definitely do not sound like V30's to me though. I was thinking about keeping one original speaker in the cab and then replacing the other with something else. V30 would be the safe option but I'm open to other suggestions. Thanks.

I had a feeling someone was going to mention that. I looked into them a little bit and they seem cool. Do you prefer them other v30s? How would you say they compare. To me they sound kinda similar to Gt-75's but a little more balanced

Well, there is that mode 4 thread from mkrich with clips and impulses, id check that to see how you feel about them. I dig them as much as the v30, and they are good under the mic. I have a cab with 75s and anything you use kind of has that signature scooped thing happening, the k100s are more honest to the guitar and head choice.

I have a custom zilla cab with K100s. At first it sounded really laid back after using V30s for years. But after about a week of use, V30s sounded incredibly sharp and ear piercing to me. I'm 100% satisfied and plan on sticking with K100s.

cool thanks guys. The Gt-75 speakers seem cool for an early 90's metal tone. Maybe I'll buy the k100 and the v30 and see which I like better. The stock speakers I have now Seem a bit dark but kinda flat too. They are supposed to be like eminence legends. From the clips I've heard of those speakers, it seems like an accurate statement. I have not considered a bass cab but I have considered buying a 2x15 cab. I know Vader made them. Also, Randall made a cab that was 2x12 and 1x15 in a 4x12 size cab. That seems like an awesome idea. Anyone know of albums that were made using speakers other than V30's for metal. I know Nevermore's DHIADW was the gt-75's.

Chaosphere was T-75's, wasn't it? Chaosphere sounds killer.

Maybe not 8-string low, but Khaos Legions by Arch Enemy was Peavey Sheffield XXX speakers mixed with V30's. Stabbing the Drama by Soilwork was K-100's, I think.

Someone posted a clip of the Classic Lead 80 recently too. Don't know how mic-friendly those are, but those are very clean-sounding speakers too. The Mesa Black Shadow C-90 thingy is another take on that same speaker.

Some Black Label Society stuff is tuned down to A. Those are EVM-12L's which is another well-known speaker with lots of headroom and low-end.

The Jensen Electric Lightening is probably another option to look at.

Eminence Swamp Thang looks kinda cool too.

cool that's nice to know about stabbing the drama. I love the sound of that album especially the guitars. Do you know which cab and amp was used?