Guitar Editing....

Melb_shredder

Orpheus: Melodic Death
Mar 9, 2008
Melbourne
Hey guys, I was just curious about the amount of editing that gets done for guitars around here. We are tracking DI's at my house for our album and then reamping later, so I'm doing all the editing and recording etc. But I'm curious as to how much is too much?

I've got 2 songs done so far, and even when i feel like i've played it almost 100% tight, on close inspection, I find im still not quite on the grid for some parts. So I've essentially been slip editing my DI tracks to get stuff pretty darn perfect. It all sounds good, the DI doesn't sound jagged or edited at all, so I assume im doing it right... I usually sum both guitars to mono and make sure they are perfect with eachother if only a little out from the grid so they don't sound machine like etc.

But how much is too much :S???

All depends on how tightly it's played.

If it sounds tight I wouldn't bother making sure every note is exactly on the grid. Just edit out any noise and leave it be.

Cheers guys! Some of it is like 16th notes at 210bpm etc, just annoying stuff like that etc. So thanks for that! All the string noise stuff I'm working on definitely. Just was curious on the editing stuff that's all! I will keep playing as tightly as possible :)

If it sounds good, it is good. The only excuse to ever over-edit is if you're a terrible player, and I really doubt that in your case.

I'm more apt to edit palm muting than strummed notes. Slip editing is your friend. A little variation makes things sound wider.

If it sounds good, it is good. The only excuse to ever over-edit is if you're a terrible player, and I really doubt that in your case.

I'm more apt to edit palm muting than strummed notes. Slip editing is your friend. A little variation makes things sound wider.

what he said about variation, i found myself playing tight as i could, then editing the fuck out of it just to realise after like 2 hours that it sounded a lot more "mono".

Yeh exactly. Only on palm muted stuff, like triplets etc to just make them gallop better together stuff like that, no strummed stuff :) I agree, with only slight edits in some parts when listening back to both guitars in stereo it seemed to sum to mono in random notes etc. So I kept most of it natural. First time recording in such serious fashion, I was just thrown off by what it should sound like etc. I may be relying too much on warforms instea of my ears lol
Thanks a lot guys :)

Ermz mentioned that... What is elastic audio??? Also, whenever I have to edit, i just keep re tracking. But I'd be lying if I said I never got a few notes out of time
here and there :)

Meh, I wouldn't edit my own guitars except silence. Especially if I'm not in a studio and loosing money each time I redo a take.
You got all the time in world, why don't you just get it right in the first place? Check in mono if you're unsure if it's tight enough.

^^^ pretty much it dude. Well between Uni/ work/ and having a release deadline *label* it stil has to be somewhat hurried. Nothing crazy though :)

Naw, hurrying is when the label have already set the release date a month from today, and you haven't even done pre-production yet :) When you get half a year, that's a very leisurely process.

I still fight the 'how much is too much' fight. On the current project I'm tracking, we're going the 'too much' route, just to see if its going to add or take away from it. So far its sounding massive, so I'm optimistic, but we'll see in a few brief months when it's all been mixed.

I'm not sure if anyone uses AudioWarp in Cubase to edit guitar tracks. Most I think would slip. It's what I'm doing, and it seems adequate enough. If I were in PT I'd be inclined to use Elastic Audio for it.

Yeah I know ermz. But october/november is a cut off for mixing to start haha. 2 members will be overseas after october begins. And ochestrating 10 songs each for all of us with full time work and families lol. Well you know the drill.

I've been like a drill sargent though! If this doesn't come out epically I'd be quite upset haha! Anyays tomorrow more guitars woo!!!

Naw, hurrying is when the label have already set the release date a month from today, and you haven't even done pre-production yet :) When you get half a year, that's a very leisurely process.

I still fight the 'how much is too much' fight. On the current project I'm tracking, we're going the 'too much' route, just to see if its going to add or take away from it. So far its sounding massive, so I'm optimistic, but we'll see in a few brief months when it's all been mixed.

I'm not sure if anyone uses AudioWarp in Cubase to edit guitar tracks. Most I think would slip. It's what I'm doing, and it seems adequate enough. If I were in PT I'd be inclined to use Elastic Audio for it.

Just wondering would Beat Detective in PT be a better option for DI tracks compared to Elastic Audio?

I imagine not. It would cut things into clean slices and for guitar it would sound choppy, too much going on / constant signal etc.