Guitar Eq'ing question

Commence Destruction

Carnage Serenade
Nov 20, 2002
Texas
Visit site
I was hoping some of you could help inform me on how to sculpt a lead tone similar to the "I Didnt Kill Her" and "Christ I Fucking Hate You" tones,I havent had any luck making up any decent lead tone at all but those 2 examples would be a good place to start up with, also go ahead and post any other lead tones you know how to nail such as In Flames ( back when they used to solo ;]) and Opeth,also to keep the thread going post any interesting setups for tones.

guitars:
B.C. Rich NJ Warlock
Jackson King V pro. series

pedal:
Zoom GFX-707 (seeking to invest in a boss gt-5 or zoom gfx-8 if anyones willing to part with one for 200 bucks)

amp:
Fender 2x12 M-80 stereo chorus combo

I also came across a BBE sonic maximizer for 50 bucks at a pawn shop, I was wondering if it would be worth picking up?

sounds like you have some decent guitars...as for the pedals, i am not familiar with Zoom products. I do like Boss pedals though, not for live use though cuz it gets too cluttery. Fender m-80! That was the first amp i ever got! I actually kinda like the distortion on that amp already. When i used that amp, i would just put everything to 10 on the overdrive channel, and put the reverb at 0. For leads, i would use the reverb. A sonic maximizer wouldn't be that useful for your current set up. If you plan on upgrading equipment soon, i would highly recommend that you check out some Line 6 gear. So versatile, plenty of volume, all the basic effects you need, and relatively priced. Very well rounded amp. If you are more into a tube style amp, I'd go with a Peavey 5150 or the Triple XXX amp. Also check out Mesa Boogie, if you have tons of money. Personally if I were you, I would ditch the foot pedal effects. They are a bitch to get good tones out of at loud volumes. But to each their own, I guess.

thats a cool coincidence, this is my first major amp above the crappy 15 watt practice crate I started on, I happen to like the distortion on it as well but I wouldnt use it live since it doesnt seem to have what im looking for, but its definitely useable, I picked it up at a pawn shop for 150 some months backm the only problem I have is that when I mess with the eq knobs they sound scratchy and I get static but it clears up pretty quick, is there any way to eliminate this? it acts up the most with the treble and main volume knobs by the way.

FuckYouIWantToDie said:
Personally if I were you, I would ditch the foot pedal effects. They are a bitch to get good tones out of at loud volumes. But to each their own, I guess.
So very true.
Pedals are the devil.
I've never heard a good tone come from a pedal, especially when people use them for distortion, !Yikes! that shit is hideous...Especially METALZONE!

Egh, metalzone. I used to like it cause it's all metal and stuff. But every time you click the distortion you hear FZZZFZFZFZZZCKCKCKCKFZFZZZZ... stupid fuzz... That's why I got a Flextone II Plus amp and got the floor board for it. Perfect sound, no fuzz...

Keep in mind we used these amps in the picture... that combo will really dupilcate whatever sound we had *yes im a smartass

EquipmentusedforGWC.jpg

Isolation booth, and one that was outside, at a very loud as fuck volume. well, god was created doesnt sound all that direct does it...that the result was "that" i think we could have used more direct line 6 pod distortion.

VEHEMENCE said:
Isolation booth, and one that was outside, at a very loud as fuck volume. well, god was created doesnt sound all that direct does it...that the result was "that" i think we could have used more direct line 6 pod distortion.
To me, it sounded direct... But that's because I know the direct POD sound... It still has that sort of "overpolished, digital" sound to it (Best way I can describe it.)

I personally find that kind of sound is good for leads and solos, but I think a miced tube amp is THE SHIT for rhythm. Perhaps I'm being anal retentive, but I find the POD's sound a bit "sterile."

Still, it is a quick and easy solution AND it sounds GOOD. But if I had the choice you had... Miced tube amp, full stack, with the guitarist somewhere near it as well to get the extra feedback and such as well...

Course, in the end, what does it come down to? Preference. After a certain realm there's not really bad guitar tone, just different sounds. The POD direct in is definately a cheap and easy way for a lot of bands to record, and, as you've shown, is also good enough for professionals. It should say something that I do own a POD myself, and I'm considering upgrading to the XT.

So much gear I want to buy....