Guitar Heroes Album.

Kekkonen's Parrot

On your shoulder.
Jan 18, 2007
FIN
Source: Yle Uutiset:
Original article

Some of Finland's most respected metal guitarist collaborating on new album.

Some of Finland's most respected metal guitarists will play on a collaboration album, which is to be released next fall. "Guitar Heroes" is an instrumental album, which will include over ten guitarists - some of who have been internationally successful.

The collaboration album includes: Timo Tolkki (Stratovarius), Alexi Laiho and Roope Latvala (Children of Bodom), Emppu Vuorinen (Nightwish), Esa Holopainen (Amorphis), Sakari Hietala (Tarot), Tuomio (ex-Impaled Nazarene), Euge Valovirta (Godsplague, Suburban Tribe), Mikko Salovaara (Kiuas), Nino Laurenne (Thunderstone) and Mr. Crab (Bleak).

The rhytm section will also include some serious firepower like Kai Hahto (Wintersun, Rotten Sound) and Lauri Porra (Stratovarius, Warmen).

Every guitarist has composed his own song on the album without any restricting elements. The culmination of the album will be a joint performance, where all the guitarists will "battle" each other by playing solos.

- It was great to have all the guitarist I wanted to play on this album. Most of the guitarists have done the recording with their own amps, so I've tried to catch their own unique sound on the record. I believe, that the record will give great moments for those of us, who grew up with the 80's guitar heroes, and also to new guitar players, who are popping up like mushrooms after rain in Finland, says producer Nino Laurenne.

Guitar Heroes album will be released in November 7th.

edit: To make it clearer: Roope and Alexi will both do their own songs to the album.

Great idea, all those great guitar players + Kai Hahto on drums and Lauri Porra on bass I am definately looking foward to hear this album.

BTW Will the cd also be available for the rest of the world or only Finland?

I wonder how Alexi's and Roope's solos will sound like. Not like Tie My Rope i hope, i do love the song, but the solo is under mediocre comparing to his earlier ones.

kind of sad that jari isn't participating :/

I think he's up to his ears in finishing the new album, + he released the new song on the Nuclear Blast Allstars album (which wasn't that good).

Goof stuff. Since it's an all instrumental album, there'll be more focus on kickass melodies instead of really basic riffs just as an underlining for vocals.

Goof stuff. Since it's an all instrumental album, there'll be more focus on kickass melodies instead of really basic riffs just as an underlining for vocals.

This is the reason why I'm quite excited about this too. Instrumentals are hard to make, because the guitar playing has to pretty much alone keep the song together and make it interesting. No choruses to help this time. Basic riffing, pointless fast-as-possible scalewanking or technique show-offing wont either make a good instrumental. You'll have to be a versatile musician with combination of many skills to make a good instrumental.

As for Roope and Allu I'm expecting something completely different from CoB, because they can now play anything they like without the "CoB mould" limiting them and come up with some new ideas that could not be done with CoB. I'm especially excited about Roope's part, because the guy has been playing so long, that he must have some interesting ideas lying around and now he can make some of them reality. I hope both of the guys can find enough time to concentrate on this properly...

Saartje said:
that's too bad but I guess you'll be able to order it from somewhere. I MUST have that album
Well the name of the album is in English, so that might indicate that it will indeed be sold internationally. But this is just me guessing now...

This is the reason why I'm quite excited about this too. Instrumentals are hard to make, because the guitar playing has to pretty much alone keep the song together and make it interesting. No choruses to help this time. Basic riffing, pointless fast-as-possible scalewanking or technique show-offing wont either make a good instrumental. You'll have to be a versatile musician with combination of many skills to make a good instrumental.

As for Roope and Allu I'm expecting something completely different from CoB, because they can now play anything they like without the "CoB mould" limiting them and come up with some new ideas that could not be done with CoB. I'm especially excited about Roope's part, because the guy has been playing so long, that he must have some interesting ideas lying around and now he can make some of them reality. I hope both of the guys can find enough time to concentrate on this properly...

I've been listening to Sinergy alot lately, and it strikes me how good music they can make without what you called the "CoB mould" (can't find a better word for it :lol: ). These are solos that fit a good instrumental track, so i'm really hoping for something Sinergy-like.

Where the fuck is Jari Mäenpää, Jani Liimatainen, Jiri Jalkanen, Jukka Tolonen, Elias Viljanen, Sami Raatikainen and Markku Niiranen? There's so many more guitarists in Finland who just pwn some of the guys who are going to play on the cd. All the guitarists on the cd play in bands that are quite popular at the moment (in Finland at least), which just proves that the producers are thinking about big sales. Way to go...

Where the fuck is Jari Mäenpää, Jani Liimatainen, Jiri Jalkanen, Jukka Tolonen, Elias Viljanen, Sami Raatikainen and Markku Niiranen? There's so many more guitarists in Finland who just pwn some of the guys who are going to play on the cd. All the guitarists on the cd play in bands that are quite popular at the moment (in Finland at least), which just proves that the producers are thinking about big sales. Way to go...

I already stated why i thought Jari wasn't gonna play

As for the rest, i haven't heard about them, except for Jani.

EDIT: Sorry, I was thinking about Sami Virtanen from Warmen.

These things are always compromises and you can never please everyone. There must be all sorts of trouble with schedules and whatnot involved. The guitarists were handpicked by the producer because they were his favorites/ friends, and as the idea of the album probably came from him, he has the right to decide who will play on the album :)

As for some of the names you mentioned:

Jari Mäenpää - probably busy recording like inhe said
Jani Liimatainen - on tour abroad with SA until 2008 (correction: he was fired this summer, thanks to Confusion for correcting this).
Jiri Jalkanen - has not played metal for ~20 yrs.
Jukka Tolonen - has never been a metal guitarist (does jazz, proge, classical etc.)
Elias Viljanen - on tour abroad with SA until 2008
Sami Raatikainen - no idea
Markku Niiranen - has not been active for years.

Sami Raatikainen - Probably writing material for the upcoming Necrophagist album.

Kekkonen's Parrot:
Jani Liimatainen - on tour abroad with SA until 2008.

Well, not really since jani is fired from SA