Guitar in dire need of help!

kernelxsanders

Bam Bam Boogie Bear!
Jun 11, 2010
Tallahassee, Fl
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8017980/untitledriff.mp3

noob here, and i cant ever seem to get any help on how to make the guitar's tone any better. my set: guitar > floor pod's "insane" channel > line-in. drive, mid, treble, presence are boosted to the max with the bass at 6 oclock. (otherwise it will sound like complete shit). i would like any and all advice possible on how i can get a better tone, please! is a DI box recommended? should i bypass the amp models and use ampsim plugins? ive tried Nick Crow's 8505, 7170, RevolutionZ, and RubyTube along with LeCab but just cant get a satisfying tone. if it helps, im trying to get a heavy, but clear sound, almost resembling oceano, whitechapel, structures, newer attack attack, etc. just something that sounds like it would fit the heavy metal/hardcore style! so to anyone who can help in any way possible... please help! will be GREATLY appreciated as well.

Eh. That wasn't terrible I guess. Read around a bit. Tons of great guitar tone on teh board. Plenty of people offering details of most of the mixes.

yea, ive been trying to do what i can, ive spent a lot of time reading around this site, but i cant quite find the info that i need. i figure if i post something that shows how my guitars sound, i can get advice on where to go from there.

Dude,one thing you can try!

If you are using Podfarm,try making use of the dual tone features!

Keep the lo-ends in Tone1
Keep the mids-his in Tone2.

Use a Treadplate or a more crunchier amp-mod in Tone 2 for the space!
And use a more heavier but less gain amp-mod in Tone 1 for the heaviness and the crunch,together it will make a very nice combination!

OR

If you are not using a Dual Tone feature:
Keep the Screamer in the front of Treadplate,and try getting the drive from the Screamer along with some drive coming from the Treadplate,add a bit of sine chorus + Compressor for the polish,which I usually do and it helps me.

And Line-6 has a very terrible tendency of boosting the Treble+Prescense like crazy from default,so don't forget to look out for the Treble+Prescense otherwise you are FOOKED,your tone will be "CRANKCRANK"!

Cheers and all the best! :)

turn the gain down, add a bass guitar, add drums. Typically ballin' guitar tones sound like garbage when they're soloed, play the song and work on your tone that way, you'll be much better off.

dude. the problem is you're using your sound cards line in. if you have a floor pod, then it has USB out. plug that shit in via USB and itt'l be recognized as an ASIO device. which DAW are you using? if you don't have one, or the answer is cracked audacity, then get reaper and we'll have you cruisin in no time. http://www.reaper.fm

edit: sorry, didn't see your sig.

@essentialblend, i have podfarm, but i cannot use it because i do not have a DI box, or any other USB-compatible interface. but whenever i can come across one, i will definitely come back to your idea, thanks!

@chrisrivalry, here is what it sounds like when drums:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8017980/calamity.mp3
i cannot add bass yet because i have to solder some wires in the guitar first

@glassjaw, as far as eq, i have a pretty good ear for that, but the eq on this floor pod flat out sucks, if i record a track, i can alter it to sound a little better with eq plugins, so mainly rely on that now.

@darthjujuu, unfortunately enough, floor pods dont have a usb output, if it did, i would have started using pod farm long ago. i guess the best thing i can do is acquire a usb-compatible interface so i can use podfarm. and as far as my DAW, i do in fact use reaper.

I think a USB interface would be the way to go. I recently picked up an M-Audio Fasttrack to use while I wait for my FP10 to get repaired. It costs around $120 and sounds great. I would even recommend trying any of the amp sims everyone always talks about, after you get an interface that is. If you run into a decent interface, have a little knowledge and use the right impulses, you can usually get some decent tones to work with.

Adding a bass and drum track will do more for your tone in the long run than a year's worth of knob turning on a POD. :D

That said, you may want to try a different amp/cab/mic combos. The L6 Big Bottom is a great amp to pair something up w/. So is the Engl clone. As for cabs, I generally stay away from the 4X12s. The 2X12s sound a lot better to me.

Also, as Essentialblend has already recommended, try using the dual tone feature. It's one of the best things POD has got going for it.

As for a POD friendly DI box, have you tried finding an old GuitarPort? They only go for a $100, and a very user friendly.
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/...XT-Guitar-Multi-Effects-Processing?sku=150447

yea, i think its decided, im just going to get a DI box and use pod farm with that since that seems to be my best bet. thanks everyone for all your help! it probably wont be long until i post another thread asking for more help ;D

:headbang::headbang::headbang:

yea, i think its decided, im just going to get a DI box and use pod farm with that since that seems to be my best bet. thanks everyone for all your help! it probably wont be long until i post another thread asking for more help ;D

:headbang::headbang::headbang:

you need an INTERFACE, not a DI box!! the line-in on your soundcard is not acceptable!! pick up a toneport or even a guitarport like these guys have said. any cheap interface will have an instrument-in, this negates the need for a higher-end DI box until you're dealing with a much nicer interface with nicer converters.

@kernelxsanders

Not at all mate :)

Get an M-Audio Fastrack interface+Purchase PodFarm2 with all the expansion packs and you will be fully set ;)

And let me know when you get it!
I'll share some awesome guitar tones with you so that you don't have to slog around haha!

DI box is not required,you particularly need a USB interface,something like a Toneport,M-Audio Fastrack.If you are looking for solutions for playing live as well as recording at the same time,Pod X3's are the best option.I record through an X3 live and that is ABSOLUTE WIN! :worship:

Seeya!

HERE IS MY MOST RECENT MIX.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8017980/vultures.mp3

it isnt completely finalized and its the first mix ive done with bass, so dont expect a whole lot, but you get an idea of the quality im workin with. also has an 808 that i got from audacity. if you happen to have any better samples for one, please share :D and i would also really like to hear yall's input on what you think, as well as how i can make it better.