URGENT: finally got a nice guitar tone but computer freezes up, HELP!

kernelxsanders

Bam Bam Boogie Bear!
Jun 11, 2010
Tallahassee, Fl
after a while of testing out different tones, i think i finally found one i can live with for a while until i get an interface to use PodFarm. BUT it eats up my cpu and makes my computer freeze after i record a second track. HOW CAN THIS BE FIXED?!?!?!

guitar DI through line-in (because i have no usb) > LeGion > Le Cab > Classic EQ > ReaGate gives me this tone:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8017980/untitledtest.mp3

i was able to salvage this little piece i just made a couple minutes ago, but excuse the excess static, for my computer was in the process of freezing up, rendering me no time to fix it. but please, i need to find someway to remedy said situation!!!

also, feel free to comment on the tone, whether i need to eq something different, or if you have any suggestions as to a better ampsim i can use, etc. thanks and im thankful for any help i can get!

no, when i have more than one track armed with that fx chain, my computer freezes from so much cpu usage. and im trying to find out how that can be fixed.

after a while of testing out different tones, i think i finally found one i can live with for a while until i get an interface to use PodFarm. BUT it eats up my cpu and makes my computer freeze after i record a second track. HOW CAN THIS BE FIXED?!?!?!

guitar DI through line-in (because i have no usb) > LeGion > Le Cab > Classic EQ > ReaGate gives me this tone:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8017980/untitledtest.mp3

i was able to salvage this little piece i just made a couple minutes ago, but excuse the excess static, for my computer was in the process of freezing up, rendering me no time to fix it. but please, i need to find someway to remedy said situation!!!

also, feel free to comment on the tone, whether i need to eq something different, or if you have any suggestions as to a better ampsim i can use, etc. thanks and im thankful for any help i can get!

that tone is clipping like a mother. As far as your comp freezing, i would say close any excess windows and processes you dont need at the moment, and invest some money into more RAM or a new processor

What I'm saying is that if your computer doesn't have enough power to run two of those tracks at once, freeze each track once you've recorded it.

no, when i have more than one track armed with that fx chain, my computer freezes from so much cpu usage. and im trying to find out how that can be fixed.

He means freeze the track, if your DAW allows it. As in print all of the FX chain onto the actual audio file so that you can use the chain on the next track.

But as roflsaurusrex said, better hardware to fix it.

He means freeze the track, if your DAW allows it. As in print all of the FX chain onto the actual audio file so that you can use the chain on the next track.

But as roflsaurusrex said, better hardware to fix it.

im sorta new at the more in depth part of recording, if you couldnt tell. could you go into a little more detail as to how i can go about doing so? i use reaper, if that helps anything.

and thanks everyone for the help so far! :headbang:

im sorta new at the more in depth part of recording, if you couldnt tell. could you go into a little more detail as to how i can go about doing so? i use reaper, if that helps anything.

and thanks everyone for the help so far! :headbang:

What I do: Right click the track itself (not the mixer part) and click apply track FX to items as new take.

It bounces the DI with the effects already on it, then puts it into a new track in the mixer. That way, you can delete the first DI track and use the chain on the second DI you're recording.

when i do that, it doesnt make a seperate track, it adds the rendered .wav to the DI take in the same track, resulting in two takes on the same track, however, i can delete the DI by right clicking > take > delete active take. is there a way i can get around around that so the new take is seperate (just to save a couple of seconds of time lol).

at any rate, my problem is fixed! thank you! ill be sure to post an entire mix soon so i can hear some criticism from you guys about the project as a whole.

:headbang::headbang::headbang::headbang::headbang:

Just some kind of detail, about your FX chain: you put reagate at the end of it ?

I found it was really effective at the beginning, for me, I don't have to put the threshold too high this way...did you try ?

printing = rendering?

I usually Render the tracks as new take with FX on them, I think it turns them into stems? saves a whole lof of CPU.