Guitar Painting

You can refinish a neck, you can paint a neck, what you dont want is bare wood. Some vintage necks that have worn through may be fine due to oil from hands or maybe what ever they are wipped down with, or due to the fact that they might be mahogany like some old gibson or acoustic but you dont want to strip a maple neck and not get it refinished within a reasonable amount of time. My first electric was a Kay, it came all RED including the neck, and it was too much for me, almost imeadiatly I sanded it bare, upon finding it had maple veneer I decided to go clear. It had what I thought was a beastly neck so I narrowed it on the belt sander, equally both sides then also removed wood from the back. I dont recall what I used for clear but it was the 70's and spray cans probably had lacquer, it came out fine, was not extremely hard but did not get gummy. Then about a year later, I decided to make the cutaway deeper and put a Gibson humbucker in it so I did all that plus sanded the body down again, I had Hendrix fever so I decided I needed a white guitar. I left the neck as it was but this white paint I got in a spray can was called "epoxy", I dont know how being as it wasnt a two part but I will say that finish was hard like these new guitars. Im sure regulations have long since eliminated whatever formula that was.

All I can figure Noble is you must have put latex house paint on that thing. I can think of no paint that gets soft from handling it unless latex does but thats for walls and such so who ever handles them ? Or something from arts and craft.

I actually think it was latex paint. It was very elastic, almost like a giant green condom on my guitar.

I just started the first coat of red paint. What do you think is the best way to do it. Layer-sand-layer-sand-layer etc or layer-layer-layer-sand-layer?

No do the flash time it says on can and keep hitting it, If its real lacquer that is darn near nonstop so long as you dont go heavy. One coat of paint is not enough to sand, you need some coverage first, then do a sanding and one or so finish coats. You got tack cloth right ?

All RED... ey ? ........ [quivers]

:)

One solid color means less to fuck up!

OK, I kind of figured a lot of layers would be needed. I have two on so far, so a few more for today then I'll let it dry and lightly sand it tomorrow. Repeat if necessary.

Sorry, you guys are probably getting annoyed by now.:lol:

I put about 4 layers of the red coat and it seems to be really rough. I'm going to put a few more on today then sand smooth tomorrow and repeat the same thing again the next day.

When I sand the red layer for the second or third time (Whenever it comes out good), would it be OK to just start the clear coat then or should I spray another layer of red first? It won't effect the final finish if the red is a little dull from being sanded will it?

Color layers aren't so much the important part. The grain fill is of critical importance because that will give you the flattest surface to start with. I'd do two or three color coats, with the most time paid to the top coats (clear).

Sanding between layers is quite important as well to minimize imperfections.