guitar pickups used in opeth's music

well no matter what , they both are good to be honest , i use SD Custom , and oh my the sound i get out of that , i use a Vester "jackson series 6" NEckthrough with custom graphics , "VERY 80 Guitar :)" and with the Custom the sound i get is HUGE , custom has less Output , but lots more mids and clarity , the SD dustortion i used on my other guitar is great spcially since the other guitar looses lots of bottom end "fucking thing is a bolt on" lol .. and the Pickup compensates for that VERY well ..
Opeth's Sound is very intersting ... i'm gonna find out from them about this actually ...
notice how clear they are in alot of the songs , like REALLY clear ... then again it's a combination between the gear and the guitars and the ability to play "and they have those figured out kinda well" don't you think ?? ;)

well the PRS has a lot to do with their sound for one, not sure how much effect the dragon pickups have on it themselves but I get pretty close with a the JB on my schecter. The studio stuff is impossible to match so just don't try, like 4 different amps all multitracked and layered on top of each other...can only do that in a studio. The parts are clear because they don't use much gain on each track, then put it all together to make it sound heavy and retain clarity.

I don't think they use duncans, unless they switched out the dragons..and there isn't much point in doing that.

i still recon that the SD has a really great tone and sound to it , PRS sound good i agree , but in many ways it's true , a studio sound is hard to match , it is why i usualy use the sounds that i can redo live on the album , in there case they need there sound for the album ..
Lowering the gain is a great excample , the advantage of it "James hetfield did it too on Justice" is that your sound is clearer and thicker " you do have to be a good guitarist to play tight and clear enough cause it will be very clear so any little fuck up will show" ...
then again i do that live through my Marshall , i use like 6 gain on my crunch and it's clear like hell .. it teaches you to play better too , but i'm used to it now and it growls ...
i like there studio sound , but live they are so much better to be honest , nothing over wealming on albums , but live , man live there is nothing like the live sound .... if you can work on that everyone will love ya :) ..

i remember reading it in guitar world saying that mike uses seymour duncans and peter use stock prs pickups.... One more thing, from all the opeth bootlegs i have, i realized that their guitar sound in the blackwater park tour 2001 is way different than the one's on deliverance tour.. maybe its just me, what do you guys think??

the live setup is all that boss gt-3 pedal...everything about the sound is put through it and the amp just works like a PA really..

and btw i'd kill to know what setting he uses because I still havn't nailed their live sound and with the exception of the PRS I have exactly the same equipment, and my guitar has a SD JB and jazz in it.

You're right about the live sound though as it is every bit as effective as the album sound and is arguably one of the best live guitar sounds i've heard yet both clean and distorted. Only exception might be dream theater..but 3 full standing rack cases full of triaxis' and the like will do that.

But of course the sound is a lot different, it varies a great deal from album to album and the live sound is something in itself. It really goes back to what I said before, you can't copy what is done in a studio into a live setting and trying to copy the sound from a certain album is just a bit silly as you arn't going to switch the sound for every song.

Mike guts his PRS's and puts Duncan JB-4's

The clean sound they get on teh album is from alot of guitars with little to no distortion layered over and over again for one huge sound.

Live they use that boss Gt-3 pedal...Sometimes itr sounds good, sometimes it sounds like ass.

Mikael's live sounds are all coming from his Boss GT-3. He uses customized user presets not the factory presets. So if you have a Boss GT-3, you will not be able to nail his sound unless you have his patches. Maybe you can write to him or his tech and get the patches from him. Also, the Laney's are just used for the power section as mentioned before and are mostly for show more than anything else since they are endorsed by Laney. I doubt that the Laney's volume is up that high because they are miked and run through the house PA. The secret to Mikael's live sound is his GT-3. That is his trusty little Pandora's Box. I'm not too sure about Peter's sound although I think Peter uses a Boss GT-5 and probably does the same thing that Mikael does. I emailed Mikael and he told me all this.

theyre always tossin up new amps, probably because the amps dont play much in the role of sound wise, they just use the GT3 as a preamp and only use the poweramps, and power is power the preamp is what makes amps different so thats why sometimes ull see a marshall up there, a laney, an ENGL or whatever

well of course because the factory presets well...they suck. Anyone who uses it should have their own presets if they want it to sound decent.

I thought about asking his tech at the last show but the guy looked too damn busy and I couldn't really hang around that long (long drive home). It looked like peter had the same thing but it could be a gt-5.

but also, from what I could tell, they still had it going through the preamp and not through the effects loop (on the laney you can switch to insert and use only the power amp, they didn't have the cords in the right place for that). Basically you EQ the preamp to go with the gt-3, mids all the way up and highs/low all the way down. Then it gives you some room to change those if you have the need...which the tech was doing at the show. It really sounds better through the amp, too thin just going through the loop because that pedal really has no balls by itself.

Hi fadingessence,

You are absolutely right about that. Mike does go into the front of the amp (not the effects loop) and turns the mids all the way up and everything else down. Here is an email that I received from Mikael:

Sent: Thursday, April 25, 2002 4:23 AM
To: DiCosmo, David
Subject: RE: Your use of Peavey 5150 amps

I use the GT 3 for everything. The Laney GH100L is set with all settings (treble, bass, presence) on 0 while the mid is at 10. I have customized my sound in the GT 3 so I use it as rhythm, lead, acoustic....I made my own sounds from the factory sounds that I found was close to what I wanted.Cheers
Mike

opethmike@hotmail.com

www.opeth.com

ddicosmo said:
Hi fadingessence,

You are absolutely right about that. Mike does go into the front of the amp (not the effects loop) and turns the mids all the way up and everything else down. Here is an email that I received from Mikael:

Sent: Thursday, April 25, 2002 4:23 AM
To: DiCosmo, David
Subject: RE: Your use of Peavey 5150 amps

I use the GT 3 for everything. The Laney GH100L is set with all settings (treble, bass, presence) on 0 while the mid is at 10. I have customized my sound in the GT 3 so I use it as rhythm, lead, acoustic....I made my own sounds from the factory sounds that I found was close to what I wanted.Cheers
Mike

interesting...............