Mikael and Peter's Pickups???

Leper_/-\ffinity, where did you get the pics in your signature and avatar? Looks like some promo-pics, or booklet pics or whatever. They're not on Opeth.com, at least I can't find them.

Sorry for being offtopic.

Full shreds????? Damnit, I don't believe it. I don't think he uses full shreds, because he wouldn't get any decent clean sound out of them. Man, I really wish he could see this to clarify, and enlighten me on his knowledge of pickups, since I have only truly experienced some crappy Ibanez vintage pickups, and some crap stock humbuckers on my LP.

P.S. I got the pictures from a guitar magazine website, just search google for them, that's how I found them. I think it was for a guitar world axology or something.

Yeah I know how you feel Leper, man, haha. All those talentless punk kids completely abusing the guitars with their chugging... the PRS virtually sang by itself when I played Epilogue on it, it was beautiful. haha, anyway enough PRS promo. The pickups, I know Mike uses Seymour Duncans and yeah the Full Shred thing sounds like he's nailed it there... to be honest I like the tone that Peter gets out of his guitar more live... I have a few recordings and his lead just shone through more to my liking. The HFS is a great stock pup.

Anyway best of luck with the search.

Moonlapse said:
Yeah I know how you feel Leper, man, haha. All those talentless punk kids completely abusing the guitars with their chugging... the PRS virtually sang by itself when I played Epilogue on it, it was beautiful. haha, anyway enough PRS promo. The pickups, I know Mike uses Seymour Duncans and yeah the Full Shred thing sounds like he's nailed it there... to be honest I like the tone that Peter gets out of his guitar more live... I have a few recordings and his lead just shone through more to my liking. The HFS is a great stock pup.

Anyway best of luck with the search.

Yeah, kill the punk kids. I love Peter's sound a lot too, and I love Les Paul's, but PRS is definitely next on my list.

Leper_/-\ffinity said:
Ok, so does anyone know what is so good about the Jazz/JB combo of pickups, because I have seen that other players also have this combo, so I was just wondering, if anyone can explain. Man, I do wish Mike would see this thread. Well, looks like Im going to go for a Pearly Gates in the bridge, and a 59 in the neck, anyone have anything bad to say about that combo??? This is all going by the sound samples from SD's website. I wish I could take various pickups for a test drive in my guitar, but that is unreasonable.

I got the Jazz/JB combo in my RR-1, I'll tell you what's so good about them. The Jazz (which is obviously in the neck) gives the most awesome clean sound, even out of a Jackson guitar designed for shredding and metal and through a Marshall JCM800. The sound is really full and clean, absolutely wonderful.

I'm not too crazy about the JB but it does offer more of an edgier distorted sound that is adequate for the bridge pickup. I'm considering swapping the JB out, but there is no way in hell the Jazz pickup will ever leave that guitar.

What about soloing? Does the Jazz pickup have that really clean MIDI kinda tone when you sweep that motherfucker? Coz I love a nice clean Neck pickup, but it's gotta be able to play mario brothers adequately too :lol:

Does anyone have a 59, or a Pearly Gates on their guitar???? I seem to think the 59 will be a great smooth blues toned neck pickup, and the pearly gates will be that ripping classic distortion in the bridge.

The Pearly Gates is similar to the 59 but with a little more volume and a lot more treble. I think a lot of the blues guys like using the combo because the 59 is pretty warm and makes a good neck pickup.