Opeth Pickups

AFairJudgement0

A fair judgement deserved
Jan 2, 2006
Guelph/Peterborough, Ontario
hehe sorry i keep posting all these vague topics, but I was wondering if anyone knows the kind of pickups Mike and Pete use. I know they have seymour duncans in the PRS but there are a bunch of different kinds?? Anyone know in particular?? Thanks!

You guys really need to do some searching around, I mean you can even check the Seymour Duncan website and it tells you. But I dont want to be rude so they use the full shreds in the bridge and Jazz humbuckers in the neck.

Next time do some research, all right. Not tryin to be mean but this sort of topic gets people pissed round here

PEACE!

you motherfucker. you come on here, and ask this fucking question again....oh, don't give me that, "i'm sorry, i didn't know that...." bullshit.. fuck this, i need a cig.

This topic has been debated numerous times, even on this forum... :lol:

The "official" answer is:
Mikael's Blue PRS: Seymour Duncan Full Shred(Bridge & Neck)
All of Mike's other PRS models have stock PRS pickups, or have not been revealed by him.
Peter's PRS models all have stock PRS pickups.
Peter's White Jackson Randy Rhoads: EMG 81(bridge) and EMG 85(neck)

I'm not quite sure if they use Seymour Duncan Jazz pickups in the neck of their PRS guitars, but this may be the case for a a few of their guitars.

They also use Gibson SGs and Fender Strats for recording...

Because they want to rip off the band's gear to sound exactly like them ala most fanboys on most forums. :)

It's pretty funny. You come here and just hear 'oh man, PRS is god, blah blah, Duncan pickups'. You go to the Necrophagist forum and it's 'oh man Vigiers fuckin rock', then you go to the Bodom forum and hear 'oh man ESP/Jackson are the shit'.

Moonlapse said:
Because they want to rip off the band's gear to sound exactly like them ala most fanboys on most forums. :)

It's pretty funny. You come here and just hear 'oh man, PRS is god, blah blah, Duncan pickups'. You go to the Necrophagist forum and it's 'oh man Vigiers fuckin rock', then you go to the Bodom forum and hear 'oh man ESP/Jackson are the shit'.

its because they like the way that they sound.

actually i do like the way they sound, so you dip shits that think you are all king shit and flame for the sake of being dicks can just fuck right off.... Oh, and the fan boy comment is fucking rediculous considering the fact that you are MODERATOR for the fucking Opeth forum... how much more fan boy can YOU get!

AFairJudgement0 said:
actually i do like the way they sound, so you dip shits that think you are all king shit and flame for the sake of being dicks can just fuck right off.... Oh, and the fan boy comment is fucking rediculous considering the fact that you are MODERATOR for the fucking Opeth forum... how much more fan boy can YOU get!

There was no negative connotation on the word fanboy, just poking a bit of fun. All I'm saying is that most forums have fanboys who's gear choices are quite clearly influenced by the band in question.

But to be fair, doing a simple search would've unveiled a plethora of threads prior to this one where people have discussed Opeth's pickups AT LENGTH.

Actually, the best guitars I've ever tried were custom made by a luthier named Márcio Zaganin :) he's brazilian alright and his guitars überwtfpwn any prs, jackson, or whatever, you name it.

I'm totally against people buying stuff just cause 'åmgmyfavemusicianusesitlawlz!1', and I'm specially anal about it when it comes to feel(ie, picks, strings etc)

Btw, :lol: best mod ever :D

BloodyScalpel said:
I'm totally against people buying stuff just cause 'åmgmyfavemusicianusesitlawlz!1', and I'm specially anal about it when it comes to feel(ie, picks, strings etc)

ya see, thats where the negative connotation is...but, only if you are pointing fingers....or if someone just flat out admits, "i want to buy this and that and this because mike uses it and he is god."

then you constructively flame with, "well, is that the sound that you like?"

and he responds, ":rolleyes: well yah, mike uses it."

but, i am against responding to a simple question...("do you guys know what gear opeth use?") with "yah know, just because they use it, doesn't make it great. go find your own sound."

if this person has a luscious clean tone in mind...one that shimmers with warm, squishy, harmonically-rich brilliance...and the closest sound to this that they have ever heard is the sound on damnation, sharing with that person that the sound comes from a laney vc30 is helpful input.

I agree. There's nothing wrong in using some existing tones as a starting point.

But sometimes people go a little overboard and simply photocopy tones and that is fucking wrong...even if you're in a cover band.

BloodyScalpel said:
I agree. There's nothing wrong in using some existing tones as a starting point.

But sometimes people go a little overboard and simply photocopy tones and that is fucking wrong...even if you're in a cover band.

i still don't see why that is wrong. i doubt that opeth cares. plus, you're not going to nail the tone on the dot. there is no fucking way.