Mikael and Peter's Pickups???

Leper_/-\ffinity

Child of The Grave
Aug 26, 2003
Visit site
Im a HUGE Opeth fan, I was able to catch them on the Damnation tour in Denver, and I absolutely love the sound they get out of their guitars. Im also in the market for some new Pickups for my Epihone LP Custom (ebony), and I know Mike has some Seymour Duncan's in his PRS Custom 24, but which model???? Neck, bridge???? Also, does Peter have stock pickups, or something else in his LP Custom and his PRS??? I really would like to know, or have atleast a recommendation on which SD's to get, because right now Im looking at a 59 in the neck, and a pearly gates in the bridge, would that give me smooth clean tones, yet harsh, dragging distorted tones, in the style of Opeth's heavier songs?? I just really loved the sound they had on the heavier parts of To Bid You Farewell, would this combo give me that kind of sound??(I use a GNX pedal to get 'tones' in general, but I know pickups affect the tone a lot as well.) If you don't play the guitar, you probably have no clue what Im talking about, but Opeth is like my #1 guitar inspiration, and I'd love to know what kind of pickups they use(specifically Mike's main PRS). Thanks.

P.S. I hope Mike sees this thread :)

I don't know, but have you tried the biography section on the Opeth site? It has a list of the equipment each band member uses...dunno if it has what you want on it though. I don't have a clue about guitars :p

Snyper said:
i checked the biography section on their site, it has all of their equipment, but doesnt say anything about pick ups

Yeah I have checked there too, but thanks anyway, sup snyper!!

Guess I'll have to wait for the ultimate fanboy, or someone who really knows *cough*Mikael*cough*

no he's talking about the pups, his guitar (prs custom 22) comes stock with dragon II pickups. I believe they are switched out to seymore duncans, a JB in the bridge and a Jazz in the neck.

fadingessence said:
no he's talking about the pups, his guitar (prs custom 22) comes stock with dragon II pickups. I believe they are switched out to seymore duncans, a JB in the bridge and a Jazz in the neck.
WHere did you read the info about the JB and Jazz pickups being in there???

Hmm, I'm abit confused about Peter Lindgren's tone. Because sometimes he uses a Rhoads with emg 81 pickups or his les paul with 81s as well. I have a Jackson Kelly Star with an emg 81 in the bridge. My sound is just abit too trebley or too muddy as much as I turn down the treble or boost the bass. I want to achieve Opeth tone, I have the same amp as they do well at least what Peter has. a Laney VH 100R. What amp settings should I put?

Anyway, an answer to your question, I'm pretty sure Mikael uses the JB and a Jazz. :)

Both of them use Boss GT-3 effect processors to get their tone, the Laney's are only there for amplifying the tone. they don't colour it that much.

So to get Opeth's tone you need a Boss GT-3 and the exact patch they use (good luck finding it ;) ).
It surely is not one of the factory presets.

That's cool, I think in a guitar.com Mike said he uses a GT-6 pedal now, but maybe Im wrong, and I can get pretty good Opeth distortion on my GNX pedal, but I just need some pickups that aren't as muddy.

WyldeBill said:
How do you know for a fact they aren't using stock pups?
Because I read it in a guitarworld axology, it said he uses a PRS Custom 24, with seymour duncan's, or else I wouldn't have asked in more than one forum.

They don't use the boss multieffekt for their distortion. It's in the Laney amp, typical laney distortion (pretty light actually, the heavy sound is achieved through dynamic drumming tightness and accurate riffs and passages)

Ok, so does anyone know what is so good about the Jazz/JB combo of pickups, because I have seen that other players also have this combo, so I was just wondering, if anyone can explain. Man, I do wish Mike would see this thread. Well, looks like Im going to go for a Pearly Gates in the bridge, and a 59 in the neck, anyone have anything bad to say about that combo??? This is all going by the sound samples from SD's website. I wish I could take various pickups for a test drive in my guitar, but that is unreasonable.

Can't say much about pickups, but I test drove a PRS Custom 24 a month or so ago on a Marshall 50 watter combo and using the HFS bridge pickup that comes stock with it I achieved almost exact Opeth tone, only using the on-board gain. THAT'S how fucking good the PRS is.

Moonlapse said:
Can't say much about pickups, but I test drove a PRS Custom 24 a month or so ago on a Marshall 50 watter combo and using the HFS bridge pickup that comes stock with it I achieved almost exact Opeth tone, only using the on-board gain. THAT'S how fucking good the PRS is.

Meh, I played plenty of PRS guitars, I like them, but there's just something about them that is missing. Maybe if they were heavier. I love Les Paul's, mainly customs, I just like the feel of them, you just know you are holding a true guitar when you are playing one ya know? Btw, what kind of marshall was it??? Was it a tube/valve marshall?? Because if it wasn't, there is no way you had Opeth tone from it. I play through a AVT150, and even though it is a hybrid, the distortion on both channels is crap, tho the cleans are fairly nice, but that's why I have my GNX pedal to save me from bad tone.

I'm fairly sure it was a valve amp, much like the one I have at home. Personally I really like the HFS pickup that the Custom 24s come with... it gives a very distinct kind of tone and I just fell in love with it as soon as I played it. I still have a Les Paul overseas that belongs to my uncle, I might get that imported back in here... its one of them old 70s limited edition gold tops, from what I hear it was a good guitar.

Moonlapse said:
I'm fairly sure it was a valve amp, much like the one I have at home. Personally I really like the HFS pickup that the Custom 24s come with... it gives a very distinct kind of tone and I just fell in love with it as soon as I played it. I still have a Les Paul overseas that belongs to my uncle, I might get that imported back in here... its one of them old 70s limited edition gold tops, from what I hear it was a good guitar.
Yeah, it must have been a valve amp, since you could never get sweet tone out of just a cold SS amp. Im drooling hearing about that overseas goldtop, and you say it's from the 70's??? Man, you really should get that shipped like now, lol. I love LP's. Yeah, I think Peter has the stock pups that you played on in his PRS, but Mike has some SDs hooked up in his. I usually don't like stock pickups on like any guitar, unless they are exceptions like possibly PRS, and high end jacksons, but I really can't say that I like PRS guitars that much, they've been killed by so many untalented musicians. Mike and Peter are like two of the few guitarists that actually use the instruments to their full potential, unlike every gayass punk rock band that has like 20 different PRS guitars, and they ride a fucking palm muted E string the whole fucking song. Arrrrgghhhh.....I wish I wasn't poor.