Guitar Practice

Grimes

Torment Christian Souls
Oct 31, 2005
Practicing my sweeps with the metronome have been getting fucking frustrating as hell. I wanted to know if theres any special practicing techniques to get fingers and picking faster, along with having fingers and picking in sync with eachother. I pick all the sweeps, no pulls or hammers. My current speed with accuracy is about 126bpm, counting in triplets. Any help?

Well, for starts, did you begin at a really slow pace? like crotchets at say 60bpm?

The way to get really effective sweeps is to slow it RIGHT down, and have your fingers move from one fret to the other, without lifting too far from the fretboard and making as small a move as possible.

Picking hand: when going down, don't force your hand to be faster than your left and hope it catches up, and use gravity to go down.

Learning alot of different sweeps is also helpful. http://www.myguitarsolo.com/chops.htm

Scroll down, theres about 18 excercises, plus two songs that have some sweeping in it...

As I don't know who you are, and don't know how good you are at guitar, I can't give you better instructions..

Hopefully this helps.

Remember, slow them right down and minimal movements.

Thanks, and yes I did start slow. Its like leveling up if you've ever played an RPG. Higher level = more work to get better. Thanks for the tips though and I'll check out that website.

1st Step: Buy the John Petrucci Rock Discipline DVD

2nd Step: Practice the hell out of it.

:Smokin: :Smokin: :Smokin:

OMG! What a lot of guitar solos! Thank you very much! :)
Thats a good site. I will start with Woodoo Chile :lol: