Vehemence, how do you practice guitar?

satanicnugz

Blast Beats 4 Life
Apr 18, 2004
Minot, ND, USA
What kind of stuff do you fuck with in a personal guitar session? Do you run scales, play any other technical styles (classical), just diddy around (whatever), just play your own songs, play other peoples songs? Do you use metronomes or anything? Also do you warm up much before a show? I remember at the ND show you both seeming to be running a bunch of like 1-2-4 & 1-3-4 little riffs, am I right?

When I practice I work mostly on alot of finger control. Shit like 1-2-3-4 (frets), 4-3-2-1 and other combos on different strings (1-2-4 3-5-7 the list goes on). I never really sit down and look at a scale book (I should though), I'll just run scales I hear bands using. I also work on my alternate picking alot. I play mostly other peoples songs. I write my own riffs occationally. I have been playing like 5 years, so I'm fairly decent (I can tremel pick for long periods, I have good finger control). But I played lots of shit metal before and in the last 1 1/2 is when I have been practicing to Death and Emperor. I have been meaning to buy a metronome, but am lazy. I'll think I'll actually order one this week.

So how do you guys practice?

FuckYouIWantToDie said:
i usually just doodle around, or practice some of our songs. I actually don't warm up very often, and probably don't play guitar as much as I should. I haven't picked up a guitar in about 5 days...

Thats cool, I figured you people played guitar like every other day. For me it seems like if I take like even a week long break I can tell I have lost a little something.

Since we are on the guitar subject... what tuning do you guys use? Like a BEADGB? Also what gauge strings do you use, how often do you change them? Also what kind of effect board do you use for your main distortions and what not?

I usually play in DGCFAD. I prefer a light set .9-.42 of Ernie Balls. They bend nice in that tuning. I try to change them every couple months, but I should be changing them way more. I have a ZOOM3030 pedal board.

satanicnugz said:
Since we are on the guitar subject... what tuning do you guys use? Like a BEADGB? Also what gauge strings do you use, how often do you change them? Also what kind of effect board do you use for your main distortions and what not?

I usually play in DGCFAD. I prefer a light set .9-.42 of Ernie Balls. They bend nice in that tuning. I try to change them every couple months, but I should be changing them way more. I have a ZOOM3030 pedal board.
We use BEADGB tuning, I use 13-56 guage strings, and I think John uses 11-54. I try to change my strings every 3 shows on tour, and at home I just change it when I break one. For all our live stuff, me and John use Line 6 Flextone amps. It has all the basic sounds we need, and its real easy to use. I use a Boss noise gate pedal with it. I have a Carvin guitar and thats pretty much my whole set up.

There are tabs around the forum for Vehemence, and quite a few around the net.

When I started playing guitar, I couldn't go a day without playing. I don't think I've played a session longer then 10 minutes in about 3 months though, it's all muscle memory.

Usually new players get very caught up and interested in the instrument. Later on you'll find that you'll ease off, and most times won't need to continually play, since you would've mastered the basic skills/muscle movements.

Obscurity, where can you get the Vehemence tabs? I normally only check www.powertabs.net and www.mysongbook.com because I preffer tabs that work in GP or PT, as opposed to plain text, but I wasn't aware there were any of those around either.

thats insane!
i used to practice in excess of 5 hours a day then i shrugged that off to about 2 hours every 2nd day, then i got really inspired to do better and went back to about 2 hours every day, now i just practice when ever i feel like it, its hardley ever as much as i used to but ahh well, sue me

i dotn really like to use chromatics, (that 1-2-3-4 stuff) i just dont like the feel of them, i prefer the good ol' minor scales :p thats how most of my music is written

but hey, ur all probably 12x better guitarists than me so ill shutup :loco:

Cheers
-Shayne

When I started playing more challenging stuff, it lead to sore hand muscles. I try to build them up as much as possible but still take it easy. Giving your hands a few days to rest is actually a good thing physically....but mentally bad if you're in a band and have to memorize several songs.

I have been studying alot of scales and guitar scale shapes, you memorize the shapes and that is all, drill them with a metronone for a month. must be good with the alternate picking, thus having no bad habits, I learned the solo from Vital Remains -Dechristianize recently, I play it about half its speed, or almost as fast, ill probably nail it sooner or later.

The past two weeks I have just been working on my sweeps, arpeggios, penatonic scales. I probably practice 4 hours throughout a day. Guitar Pro really helps, as well as the chronotron plugin for winamp that slows down any song with pitch and tempo controls. the quality sounds fine too! speed up killforgod and it sounds like a nu metal song.

god that song kicks so much ass. My freakin cousin tabbed the whole thing with guitars and drums on TabIt. He's tabbed out a bunch of shit from that cd like parts of At War With God and Infidel. I got to practice more so I could actually do those sweeps, I suck ass too much.

Well I just got my main guitar back from the repairman so I've gone back to drilling with Children of Bodom's 'Towards Dead End'. Really awesome track for sweeps and since I just drill along to the Guitar Pro tab, I just transpose everything up a step.

I'll have to check out that chronotron plugin for winamp, sounds really useful. Thanks John.

I download chronotron, besides having to pay for it...

thumbup.gif

VEHEMENCE said:
Guitar Pro really helps
yeah i agree, guitar pro is aweosme i wouldn't be half as good as i am without it.
as for the chronotron plugin, this is the first im hearing of it, anyone got a link to Dload it and is it free?