Vehemence, how do you practice guitar?

Practicing is gay and it's a waste of time. Actually, let me rephrase that: over-practicing is a gay waste of time. I've been playing guitar for 11 years and I consider lead to be my forte. Now one of the things I've learned from playing all these years is that if you're straining yourself, or your hands are starting to hurt, or you're struggling with your guitar then you're practicing wrong. At this point in my life there's absolutely nothing that I can't learn to play with the most minimal effort. The key is to take it easy. If I encounter a particular lick or phrase that gives me trouble then I pinpoint the exact flaw in my technique where I need work. Then I create a few exercises that focus on this technique. I practice these exercises very sparingly, maybe 10 minutes a day. The rest of the time I work the problem out mentally. I imagine myself playing what I can't play. I picture it in my mind with every precise detail in place. This really works!!! The most famous violin virtuoso of all time, Nicolo Paganini, practiced this way. In fact, he rarely picked up his instrument except to perform!!! The key to playing technical runs and scales is not strength but mind over matter. At the end of the day, however, the fast stuff should only serve as embellishment. What a player should really focus on is composing solos that are structurally sound, lyrical, and expressive. That is what I look for in solos more than anything else (I hate faggots like Yngwie Malmsteen). Basically my point is, don't take scales or technicality so seriously. As long as you do, you will be struggling with your guitar. Heed my zen-like wisdom and you shall not fail.

Maybe some folks can pull "magical mind scales" out of their assholes. But for the rest of us, its found in the books. Actually I know what your saying about picturing what your playing. But 11 years and no practice? What do you call picking up that guitar all those times?

satanicnugz said:
Maybe some folks can pull "magical mind scales" out of their assholes. But for the rest of us, its found in the books. Actually I know what your saying about picturing what your playing. But 11 years and no practice? What do you call picking up that guitar all those times?

You gotta understand that what I'm trying to say is it's not how much you practice but how you practice. It's kind of like the gay little quote that my high school history teacher always said: "Work smart, not hard." Aside from the bit of practice that I do, whenever I pick up the guitar it's usually just to work some riff out that's been running through my head. Other than that the only time I play is at a band rehearsal or performance which I wouldn't consider formal guitar practice. But that's just my approach to guitar and I know it probably wouldn't work for everyone. It's just one way of approaching it.

VEHEMENCE said:
I was always told keep a circle between the neck and your hand, and dont use your thumb for notes haha. And if your a lead guitarist dont have the guitar so fucking low to the ground, keep it sorta high.

Yup, I agree. Those are all good points to pay attention to when you're learning to play lead. I used to play my guitar kind of low but after a while I figured out that as a lead player it's just better to play your guitar a little higher up because then you can get your hands in the proper position.

I also have my strap all the way up. Kinda hard to move your hands well when the guitar is so low. Save that for when rocking out to Korn.