Guitar pro 5...

Plankis

Apr 9, 2008
Sweden
www.soundclick.com
Okey, been sitting with this program now that I'm away from my studio/bedroom. I've earlier used powertab and I gotta say it's still way better than GP when it comes to general notation and stuff like that imo. GP is so backwards...
Musical Direction for example: Why isn't it possible to have 2 markers on the same spot? Why must I make Alternate endings when all I want is to go to DS after a section has been repeated?
I also don't like that they kind of cheated with having Clefs and key sigs only on the first row.

I hope they'll fix these kinds of things in later versions.

The positives: DRUMS, almost unlimited instruments, able to view tab/standard notation only.

So what's your experience with guitar pro and other tab editors?

Always loved Guitar Pro. The only thing that I don´t like on it is how it adds crappy controller lane on every track without you asking when you export to midi (and how they wasted time doing those crappy RSE that no one with ears will ever use). I don´t think we will ever see a new Guitar Pro version.

guys Guys GUYS!!!! develop your ear skills and stop using tabs! you'll learn so much more that way! sure its harder but the feeling of accomplishment is great and it gets real easy after a while to do until your at the point where you hear a riff and you can pretty much play it virtually in your head before you even touch your guitar

tabs are okay for beginners but its very important as a musician to develop your ears and learn tonalities, keys, note frequencies. you should be able to just know example a middle c when you hear one. sit in front of a piano and teach it to yourself by hitting the notes and remembering how they sound and try relating them to other songs you already know.

Wise words there, Mick. I can't even remember the last time I looked at a tab (1999 maybe?). Piano is the perfect tool for a guitarist who doesn't feel too confident in their key recognition. It takes time, day by day, to be able to compose things only using your head. I think composing in Guitar Pro and buying a Midi Controller were the primary factors in developing a better ear and writing better songs.

guys Guys GUYS!!!! develop your ear skills and stop using tabs! you'll learn so much more that way! sure its harder but the feeling of accomplishment is great and it gets real easy after a while to do until your at the point where you hear a riff and you can pretty much play it virtually in your head before you even touch your guitar

tabs are okay for beginners but its very important as a musician to develop your ears and learn tonalities, keys, note frequencies. you should be able to just know example a middle c when you hear one. sit in front of a piano and teach it to yourself by hitting the notes and remembering how they sound and try relating them to other songs you already know.

While I agree with you on the matter, that doesn't seem to be the topic of discussion here.

They were talking about using Guitar Pro as composition software, rather than training software. Also about alternatives, experiences with each, etc.

I personally compose nearly everything I write in Guitar Pro. It is an efficient method for me, and a good way to get ideas down.

Right, but what about those of us that compose in it? :loco:

Every Alestorm song and every Dizeaze song is done in Gpro due to distance between members.

Tabs are a tool; nothing more. They don't prevent you from doing ANY of those things you mentioned.

I use Guitar Pro 5. It's okay. I like how it gives you a musical score as well as the tab; so you can keep the rhythmical portions of your music that you're writing.