Tabbing programs...does this even exist?

bryan_kilco

Nov 22, 2007
Poconos, PA
I know about TabIt and Guitar Pro and PowerTab and all that, what I'm talking about is a program that would take a recorded guitar signal and transcribe to tab what you played/are playing......Which would eliminate the tedious task of tabbing out full songs for your bandmates.

Does anything like this exist?

You can do it in logic, I dunno how well it would work with distorted metal guitar, but it's possible.
You just need to convert the audio to midi, then import the midi into GP.

You can do it in logic, I dunno how well it would work with distorted metal guitar, but it's possible.
You just need to convert the audio to midi, then import the midi into GP.
Well, it doesn't necessarily have to be a distorted signal. Just wanted to ask around as I've been pondering this for a while and never really knew. But yeah, it'd save a lot of time for sure.

you need

in has a device you place on your guitar which reads the notes you play as MIDI

Last edited by a moderator:
Reatune in reaper converts audio to midi which as someone stated can be imported into tux guitar/guitarpro/powertab. Works alright on some style stuff, doesn't with others. Worth messing around with, if it gets 3/4 of your notes then you've a big load taken off already

No! These options do NOT work with metal whatsoever. Yes it works it with clean notes but with palm muted noted neither the Roland option or the reatune will be able to pick it up. I've tried figuring out how to do this many times

If you really need this then consider buying MIDI guitar or MIDI pickup for guitar.
No! These options do NOT work with metal whatsoever. Yes it works it with clean notes but with palm muted noted neither the Roland option or the reatune will be able to pick it up. I've tried figuring out how to do this many times
So are you trying to tab metal or not Bryan?

This will not work because no program can work out how something was played on any stringed instrument just from the note values. Just tab it manually. It helps your music theory and general music skill to be able to write rhythms you hear into note form as well.

Never used guitar pro. But I use Sibelius for any type of orchestration I do when writing game music. Insanely sweet program and can be rewired to the daw and used with any VST library you have.

Why do you even need to tab it? Cant you just learn it and remember it??

TAB = Useless

Real musicians learn by ear ....

Different debate altogether but I always found the best method was to try to transcribe something yourself and then make reference to tabs just to see if anyone has picked out anything you haven't - a composite if you will. Then you gain the ability to more accurately comprehend positioning or different chord shapes that you may have missed just by diving in ears only. Just a thought.

Anyway, I've always been told automatic transcription programs are more hassle than they're worth and I've not seen even many tuning programs deal well with polytonal stuff.

:guh: Tabs are certainly not useless, they can be much quicker and easier than learning by ear.

This. Especially when I have new riffs and song ideas and I can only get with the band about once a week. I want something to give them to work with outside of practice. And yeah, it would be metal I'd be tabbing. Just going to do it in TabIt and be done with it.

Thanks for the responses. I've wondered for years if there was anything out there that could do this, and I guess MIDI guitar is the way to go.

Why do you even need to tab it? Cant you just learn it and remember it??

TAB = Useless

Real musicians learn by ear ....
Why do you try so hard to be a douchebag, man? Tabs are really useful, learning and remembering is just stupid when you have a bunch of stuff to learn. Plus what if you are composing?