Tabbing out my Stuff

And from my understanding timing is not written in tabs.

:zombie:

Whatcha talking about Willis? The guitar pro file plays back midi guitar (or piano or whatever else) how would it do that if the timing wasn't tabbed out? Yeah it's a little more clearly illustrated in Notation, but whatever works right. I guess I (and it seems more of everyone here) spends more time learning to "write" on their instrument than they do on a piece of paper. Second of all in guitar pro once it's tabbed correctly you can easily print the Music Notation version as well, so it's WIN WIN.

TabIt's a great tool for this. Honestly, I learned a lot about theory by Googling and using lesson tabs that some of my friends made in TabIt. It's also the way I write music and plan songs before I record them. It's easy to see the big picture that way.

Well no, tab itself has no indication of timing, that's why in Guitar Pro/Power tab traditional notation is used for note length value

Well no, tab itself has no indication of timing, that's why in Guitar Pro/Power tab traditional notation is used for note length value

This is what Guitar Pro looks like and its how I write my tabs:

tabs.jpg

Hmm, so I guess those little "L" things coming out from the bottom are indicators of length; I have GP5 and it doesn't do that, maybe it's an option I need to turn on (though I don't really have a reason to). Still, that doesn't look very intuitive to read, though I suppose I could get used to it

Power Tab rules all, it is SO quick and easy to use and I have no need for drum tabs or any of that stuff so I am fine with it. I've tried GP many times but I just can't get quick enough with it, plus it is super picky about making sure you have the right number of notes per bar, blah blah blah. Powertab will play anything I type into it, it doesn't give a fuck :lol:

Tabledit is also a really cool and super efficient/quick program for guitar/drum tabs. colynomial on here programs all of his MIDI in there for his orchestra/synth stuff, as well as all his drum and guitar parts.

You guys with GP5, tab something out in E standard and check the classical notation. Then drop it to D standard and see if the notation changes. For me, no matter what the tuning was, it'd display the classical notation as though the guitar was in E standard. That's one of my main complaints about GP5, other than the annoying "page" layout and lack of rhythm notation on the tabs.

If you have some trouble with the timing in doing tabs but you want to be sure to remember the exact fretted note you played, here's how I do keep a notebook of my riffs ideas:

-once I have a nice riff (or something I seem to care to remember later) I play it in front of my tiny Nikon Coolpix, making a short clip with the riff at full speed and if it's useful, the riff at roughly half speed (or slower anyway).
-I keep some tab lines preprinted on a normal sheet of paper (i made mine using Photoshop, it's just six lines in five, six rows) and by pen or pencil I write down the tabbed riff, careless of timing and or accents, etc...
-When I want to refresh my memory I just play the .mov little movie on my computer (I store all my riffs in a Folder and I do backups on a DVD, every once in a while) and if I have trouble seeing which fret I was playing the note at, I take out the paper and go reading it.

That's it, it works for me. And sometimes worked even for my band (it's still difficult to teach ideas to other people when it's something that was uheard before, it takes a little effort from the people you are teaching the riff to).
It requires a small digital camera or a phone that does record little videoclips (but seriously, which device doesn't do it these days?) but it's a very straightforward way to keep ideas.

I wish I had the time and mindspace to learn proper music (in general, not only guitar riffs) notation, though.

Hmm, so I guess those little "L" things coming out from the bottom are indicators of length; I have GP5 and it doesn't do that, maybe it's an option I need to turn on (though I don't really have a reason to). Still, that doesn't look very intuitive to read, though I suppose I could get used to it

Powertab displays the notation pretty much identical to that, I never had a problem reading it. I find it perfect actually, I've never understood how sheet music is in any way useful for guitar vs tab w/rhythm notation. There's so many way to play every note on the staff and they all sound different depending on fretboard position and what string you use so a tab with rhythm is going to stay much more true to the original performance than the millions of interpretations that could be drawn from standard notation.

You know what, that is a goddamn good fucking point Adam (about which fret/string one chooses to play a note on have a big effect on its sound quality/timbre/what-have-you), and the actual notation in GP5 does take up a lot of fucking space (and I only use it for the note value), so I think it's time I start getting the hang of this tab notation business - thanks dude!

Powertab displays the notation pretty much identical to that, I never had a problem reading it. I find it perfect actually, I've never understood how sheet music is in any way useful for guitar vs tab w/rhythm notation. There's so many way to play every note on the staff and they all sound different depending on fretboard position and what string you use so a tab with rhythm is going to stay much more true to the original performance than the millions of interpretations that could be drawn from standard notation.

That's what makes tab quicker in seeing that. With standard notation you've had to write "5th position" or "V" above the part to show where to play it at. That said, I dig both GP5 and Power Tab.:headbang: