Guitar Questions!!!!

Metal is Religion

Anti-Christ
Jun 8, 2002
Baltimore, Maryland USA
Visit site
ok. I might be getting a new guitar. Im probably gonna get a guitar with a floyd rose, so i can learn how to use it. I dont know what to get. A Jackson DXMG, V or RR. I have heard only good things about jacksons, so ill get one! just let me know what i should do. thanks

If you can, go to a store and pick each model up and see which one you like best. You might want to take into consideration it's harder to play the V and RR while sitting.

My first guitar was a Jackson Concept.It was a great guitar but i soon tired of it basicly due to the floating bridge.I know they do have fixed bridge guitars but i went with the Gibson S.G. and haven't looked back since.Gibson in my opinion are my fav guitars.They just have that solid tone that the Jacksons lack (well the ones i've played anyway).

The shape is a preference thing, but I must mention that I play my RR sitting without any problems. I use a cord with a 90 degree plug in one end so it doesn't get in the way of my leg.

If you're on a budget, you'll probably be looking at the RR3 and the DXMG. The only cheap KV Jackson has now is KVX10, which doesn't come with a Floyd...but you could always look around for used guitars.

The RR has 22 frets, while the DXMG comes with 24. I would personally replace the pickups in both of them. I don't like either the "Duncan Designed" in the RR or the EMGHZ in the DXMG.

/Sun'

I got my Jakson DK2 now and I love it.
But I would do anything for a DKMG. This thing just kicks azz.
And i love the reverse headstocks of the Jackson-guitars. They just look too cool.

Floyds are always a pain before you get used to them, but once properly set up they are pretty wicked IMO.

One of its quirks are that when you bend a string, the others go flat - so you can't do the blues-thing and bend one string up while striking an adjacant note on another. Therefore, if you break a string you're screwed until you can replace it (which takes longer than on a non-locking system. You will need a backup guitar when playing live because of this.

Being a floating bridge, it will also be more sensitive to palm pressure - so if you're one of those that rest the hand heavilly on the bridge, you're probably going to go sharp until you adjust to it.

The obvious advantage is that once tuned and locked down, it doesn't go out of tune from anything else than temerature shifts, pretty much regardless of what you do to it.

When it comes to fixed bridges, I personally prefer stopbar tailpieces over string-thru. It's such a hassle getting the strings throgh those poppets on the front when you change the strings. It's too bad (IMO) that string-thru seems to be all the rage these days. =(

/Sun'

Having a tremelo is really a personal preference.

I prefer a bridge with a stop tailpiece. I like to keep things simple and I've found that I never use a tremelo anyway.

As Sunbane mention, they are a pain if you don't know how to properly set one up.

I have guitars with both, and I find that for my playing style guitars with floyds are easier to play. And I have yet to break a string on any of the guitars with Floyds i have ever owned (4 now), where as I got 2 guitars last week the stop tailpieces and have already broken strings on both.

Oh yeah, and get a black Rhoads if you can :)

LC

well, my choise is Jackson`s Kelly X3 model with transparent blue colour, it has got 24 frets, and floyd rose tremolo. for me, it`s very easy to play with it because I have gotten used to it. the other guitar I have is jackson dinky reverse 94, with 24 frets and floyd rose tremolo, it`s almost as good to play as my kelly model, but because I bought it used, it needs some fine tuning..

one advice: go to shop and try various guitars and make your choise of what suits you the most with your playing style and your personal preferences. remember: an old guitar that looks shit may be far more better to play than some poor B.C Rich heavy metal battle axe model, which only concetrates on the looks, not the playability. Never buy guitar that you haven`t tested.

As Sunbane said. u have to get used to the tremolo thing. U have to do the palm muting more carefully. And changing the strings is also a hard work, if u got a floyd rose.

But once u can handle these things, u will love your floyd rose.

Floyds are great and I love them... but I love variances I can get palm muting on a Tune-O-Matic bridge... much more articulation.

If you can get a DK2 or DXMG or DXMGT you'll be doing fine.

Personally, if you can save up the extra cash, the USA Jacksons are better than just about anything. Great fretwork, great build quality, and fast necks.... I'm definitely addicted.

Originally posted by xenophobe
Personally, if you can save up the extra cash, the USA Jacksons are better than just about anything. Great fretwork, great build quality, and fast necks.... I'm definitely addicted.

Indeed. I play on my friend's SL1 all the time. It's $1000 dollars brand new (for a black finish, other finishes can get to over $1500). Much better guitar than most of the other Jacksons, IMO. But if you can't wait/don't have a job to save up from, I would go with the Jackson DKMG with the Floyd Rose. Best guitar for the price.

One thing too you could try, is order your guitar from Musiciansfriend.com and they have a 30 day return policy. I bought my Dean V thru them knowing I wasnt sure that I'd like it, but I knew that if I hated it, I could ship it back for credit.

Jackson V's usually end up on my shit list cuz theyre so neck heavy and annoying...they just feel akward as hell to me. I like balanced weight in guitars. Or at least body heavy and not neck heavy.

Anyway, yeah, I ended up liking it a lot cuz it was so balanced and a total Metal monster. But point being, I was willing to get it with a return policy like that. Worked out, too. Something to ponder anyway.

One thing too you could try, is order your guitar from Musiciansfriend.com and they have a 30 day return policy. I bought my Dean V thru them knowing I wasnt sure that I'd like it, but I knew that if I hated it, I could ship it back for credit. Not to mention that the only fucking Dean you can find around here (that isnt used or something) is the Dimebag model or those gay looking new ones with the pansy headstocks.

Jackson V's usually end up on my shit list cuz theyre so neck heavy and annoying...they just feel akward as hell to me. I like balanced weight in guitars. Or at least body heavy and not neck heavy.

Anyway, yeah, I ended up liking it a lot cuz it was so balanced and a total Metal monster. But point being, I was willing to get it with a return policy like that. Worked out, too. Something to ponder anyway.

Originally posted by Vienyard

The only Jackson that is really neck heavy is the Kelly. If you have a nylon strap and let go, it will want to dive. A 2" leather strap will cure that.

The Rhoads and KV are actually very well balanced. The KV likes to sit with the neck pretty much diagonal to the ground... the Rhoads likes to lay/balance a bit flatter or little lower, but isn't neck heavy at all. The Warrior is also another well balanced design, though the neck seems to sit like the Rhoads, it's not as centered on your body.

:)

Hmm...I know you're an expert in this field Xeno, but my import Rhoads is definately neck heavy. I've been trying to figure out ways of making it balance better, but coming up with nothing - except possibly putting lead weights in the control cavity. =P

/Sun'

Hmmm...nobody seems to like Ibanez guitars in here....:) IMHO standard Ibanez models (especially the RG and the S series) offer the best bang for the buck. Also, the LoPro Edge locking tremolo hardware beats the shit out of the original Floyds; they are more stable because the tremolo plate is thicker; plus, the Wizard necks are the best for metal shredding. I own a '92 USA Custom RG with DiMarzios and it is still KILLER. :) However I'd like to get EMGs, possibly an 85 for the neck and an 81 for the bridge. They are the most awesome pickups I have ever tried. Unfortunately here in the Philippines, no music store at present carry the EMG brand.