Guitar recording method

sgt.pepper

Jan 28, 2009
Hey, i'm going to record some quadtracked guitars with one cab and two different heads separately. But i need a little workaround...

If i'm recording the song as parts do i have to record the verse with head 1 twice, then change to head 2...record...after that change to head 1 for chorus recording...changing to head 2 etc. etc.

Do you have something like a workaround / little trick in this situation? Or do i need something like a splitter?

Reamping is no option beacause i have no reamp box.

Thanks for your help!

I was in your exact position a few days ago. It was suggested that reamping was the best way, but like you I had no reamp box. I was able to get the parts and build one in a few hours after getting that advice and it was the best advice I ever got. The parts only cost me €30 so it was a very cheap method to solving the problem.
If this still isn't an option I would record all the parts with one head, then change and record all the parts with head 2. Thats my way to do it, whether its right or wrong is certainly easier than changing for every part.

ya man. dont change for every part! even if you were reamping, dont! it means turning the amps off and on alot to connect the speakers to the other amp, just record the whole song with one amp, then use the next amp. even If i was reamping, I would do it this way. its better not to turn the amps off and on, because the plate on the tubes will heat up and cool down, which wears down their life.

ya man. dont change for every part! even if you were reamping, dont! it means turning the amps off and on alot to connect the speakers to the other amp. just record the whole song with one amp, then use the next amp. even If i was reamping, I would do it this way. its better not to turn the amps off and on, because the plate on the tubes will heat up and cool down, which wears down their life.

Yeah, just run through everything on one amp and then change over. I normally try and get whole songs in one take to be honest instead of going part by part. But thats all just down to your personal preference.

thanks for all your answers!

@Norris-wf: are you happy with the sound of your selfmade reamp box?

I was in your exact position a few days ago. It was suggested that reamping was the best way, but like you I had no reamp box. I was able to get the parts and build one in a few hours after getting that advice and it was the best advice I ever got. The parts only cost me €30 so it was a very cheap method to solving the problem.

Yeah please tell I'd like to make one of those . I dont have any XLR outs so I need to make one that uses 1/4 inch jacks.

Sorry guys, just saw this. I've been testing out the reamp box and while it does its job getting rid of all the crap from the soundcard output, its not ideal. I wasnt able to find the right transformer either which may have been the cause of my problems. It seems to reduce the signal a small bit, but I must test this out more. I check tomo and post up results sure. I was also getting weird grounding issues, picking up fluorescent lights and clicks etc, but it seems to be very picky about where I place it. I had to move it away from the heads to get as cleaner signal and it seems great now. I will say one thing, As I was new to reamping, I wasnt willing to drop 380 euro for a reamp box to see if its good so instead I spent 30 euro on all the parts and got results. For 30 euro I would definitely recommend it and I am happy I tried it.
I am happy enough with the sound, but I will try and get the correct transformer eventually for it. For that money, its a shame not to try and build one ;)

no worries.
Ive been controlling my Aux sends manually by metering the send level until it matches the original pup level.
Still a little miffed as to the importance of a reamp box concerning this whole impedance issue though. How will a reamp box differ and how does it know the exact output of my random selection of pups? No two are the same . Ive spoken to a few people about it and they seem to agree that send metering does the job.

I tried reamping direct (without reamper) with carefully matched level to pickup level and did not like the sound, without reamp box (Radial ProRMP in my case) I get thinner sound. With reamp box I get sound closer to guitar straight to amp. Thats experience I have...
Tried Art Tube MP Studio instead of reamper and it also serves good enough (but colors sound due to tube), it also matches impedance to amp, like reamp box.
And Radial ProRMP does not costs 380 euro, it is not top reamp box, but performs well enough.

Maybe I should just buy an XLR to 1/4 " converter to connect the re-amper to my 1/4 " Aux sends .
Does anyone think this would work 100% or is there a a risk of ground problems.

Mine aren't balanced though that's the thing....
Does that make it a big no no ?
I have other gear with balanced outs that I can run in bypass mode and stick in front though.

Unbalanced connection can lead to lower level (around 6db, or even more), so instead of 12 db of reduction you will have 18 db.
This can happens because, if balanced outs are used with unbalanced cable, level is two times lower.
Example for unbalanced outputs:
I have ESI Juli@ balanced outs have 20 dbu at 0dbfs (maximum digital level), this means 7.75 Vrms.
Unbalanced outs have 6 dbv at 0dbfs, this means ~2Vrms.
Level difference is around 12 db.
Reamper itself takes 12db, so this leads, in case of unbalanced outs with 6 dbv, to 0.5Vrms only, without amplification...

So would an active re-amping box with a trim control be able to boost the signal back to a usable level or should I just forget it ?
Or could I just boost it from my DAW ?

So far by saying active reamper we mean Radial X-Amp...
And it seems that it has same level drop as it`s passive companion - Radial ProRMP, don`t know about trim pot, but also saw many complains about level on X-Amp.
Maybe such level is Radial "know how", better suited for not high output pickups and less demanding genres :)
Boosting in DAW (software) is not best idea because of precision loss.
In case of tube screamer usage during reamping, screamer can be boosting device.

In case of tube screamer usage during reamping, screamer can be boosting device.

Yep, I always wonder why folk on the forum get so worried about any level drop in their guitar when re-amping as I'm pretty sure 99% of them are using tubescreamers. Just turn up the level on the tubescreamer and you're fine and dandy.