Method of recording/editing guitars

Gelatin

Boob inspector
Jun 10, 2002
Stockholm, Sweden
www.facebook.com
Hi Guys,

Just wanted to get some input from you guys how you are tracking guitars. More accurately if you are recording the songs from start to finish (with a few edits) - or if you are nailing down a a really good take of riff A, and copy/paste and doing the same for riff B, Riff C..etc. I know this doesn't come down to one method vs the other - but I imagine you guys lean more towards one method than the other.

I'm recording a technical deathmetal album that I will be sending to a pro mixing guy and I'd like to track & edit things as clean and tight as possible.

hope this makes sense :lol:

Get the guitar player to play solid takes, punch in where he makes a mistake. Then hear back and see if there are any places where its not tight enough and punch that part in.

If its a really bad guitar player (i've had many who can't nail the riff more than once properly) in that case copy and paste. Basically the end result needs to be good. Whatever you record in your studio has your stamp so if he can play the stuff its brilliant to record such a player. If he is shit, copy, paste, loop, do whatever to make it sound tight.

IMHO

Would you get a tighter result if you tracked the DIs riff by riff + copy/paste and then re-amped it all together, rather than cutting up the recorded tone?

I go riff by riff and then copy paste... it is faster, safe and I'm too lazy to track again the same parts.

Now I'm thinking about doing what you said, DI riff by riff then edit as a whole track and reamp.

^^^ if i copy paste a riff i get the guitarist to play a full 4 bar cycle or play the riff like 10-15 times and take the best take
Also i have the auto crossfade/fade in.fade out option in nuendo on so the punch in sounds oober smooth.

I meant riff, but I was talking actually about riff of the strophe complete, riff in the bridge, chorus... part by part.

That is bacause normally I do not rehearse the songs... just listen to what I wrote months ago, listen part by part to remember and record it.