Guitar rookie

Scythe Wielder

New Metal Member
Jan 31, 2004
Hey all,

My parents have offered to buy me a guitar for my 17th birthday! I was just wondering which guitar you'd recommend to a left handed newbie. Preferably something inexpensive. I'm planning on going to a local guitar shop and taking some suggestions from them, but I'd like to hear what you guys have to say as well.

i'd say don't worry about name brands or any high quality equipment right now. Just get anything reasonable for now. First you should develop some skills and if you plan on going really far with guitar then think about some better gear. I hope that was helpful.

guess it depends on the guitar shop but most of them just try to sell you the cheapy package deal.

I went with a cheap LTD m-50 and a 25w ibanez practice amp for my first, guess that was about 3 years ago, I still use both of them at home all the time.

i'd stay away from the package deals, and any squire guitar. And actually, it's less fun, but the best thing to learn on is a cheap steel string accoustic.

Left handed newbie? Hmm, I'm left handed myself, and you're not going to find a left handed guitar, worth this. Stay away from Fender, and Squier. Left handed jacksons for under 500 don't exist. www.musicyo.com or www.music123.com or musiciansfriends.com ordering online is a lot easier for lefty guitars. or, if you're rich southpaw.net or .com whichever.

I agree that brand is secondary at this stage, however there are at least two important factors to consider:

Since you're a guitar newbie, stay away from tremolo guitars, especially ones with floating Floyd-type trems. Even though a Floyd is nice to have once you start playing some serious leads, I think it's too much of a distraction when you're just learning. It also requires more upkeep and guitar know-how than a fixed bridge. The first time I restrung a Floyd it took me well over half an hour before I figured it out. You can do without that hassle when you're learning IMO.

So, look for guitars with fixed bridges. String-thru or stopbar tailpieces doesn't really matter.

Next: pickups.
Stay away from guitars with only singlecoil pickups (i.e. most strat clones). If you want to be able to play metal, you'll need at least one humbucker pickup in there. The stock pickups will probably suck, but if you have a humbucker in the bridge position on your guitar, you can have it replaced with a high quality humbucker if you find that your tone is inadequate.

Those are the two most crucial points to consider IMO.

'bane

Go for a fucking Gibson. They come in all price ranges. Get a cheap one. Fenders fucking suck. I don't give a shit what anyone says. If you wanna be a badass guitarist like those dudes from Diabolic or At The Gates, you need a guitar like a Gibson. Skinny neck with the strings CLOSE TOGETHER. It'll be harder to get the fingering down, but you wanna be a badass, right? fat strings are for bass players. Get a guitar where you can get to the higher frets, easily, and try to get a guitar with 24 frets. The first thing you have to do is forget what everyone tells you about learning chords. That shit comes in time and you'll wanna break your fucking guitar after trying to do those 4 finger chords. Secondly, figure out where all the notes are, learn all the scales, practice them, work on your fingering, and start experimenting with your own solos. DO NOT PLAY OTHER PEOPLE'S MUSIC. it's a waste of time and you wanna be a badass that plays your own shit. Then start getting down the chords. Take lessons and after awhile you'll be able to piece chords together without instruction.

You might also want to get an Ibanez instead of a Gibson. they're usually cheaper. they're made to solo.

Ibanez makes a Ibanez GRX20L which is a lower end Ibanez lefty model. It has two humbuckers and a standard tremola which won't give you fits trying to tune like a floating "Floyd Rose" type. It can be bought for around $250 or a little less. I own an inexpensive Ibanez and I wouldn't take the world for it. It is probably the most "versatle" guitar I own.
Another option would be a used guitar. Of course you would want to take a "buddy" along when buying a used guitar who already knows a bit about guitars as you can get one with a bowed neck or worse...

Bryant

Bryant