GUITAR SCALES AND MODES

musickey

djenital moosic
Feb 17, 2006
INDIANA
Just a question for my fellow shredders. I am a self tought guitarsist and have pretty much learned everything that i know on my own but im wanting some recommendations for guitar tablature thats based around metal scales.
any suggestions would be cool.:headbang:

I teach my students the modes based on a book called Fretboard Logic. It starts off simplistic but builds into a complex system that makes you think of scales in a new way. most people have to read it a few times but once you get it you're gold.

get going on the church modes -

ionian, dorian, phrygian, lydian, mixo, aeolian, locarian. They're all inside the major scale just starting on different notes from the 1st to the 7th. Once you nail those and can improvise freely hopefully at great speed ;D, i'd go for modes of the harmonic minor which are used much more these days in metal by bands such as trivium. They;re sound is more classical sounding and 'evil' on the ear. Once those are dealt with you can get onto your hungarian gypsy scales and what not haha.

Harmonic Minor and Phygian Dominant is what I use most. They are both very unique sounding. Sadly I know fuck all theory :\

Harmonic minor, HM5 (phr. Dom.), Aeolian ....

on the solos in this song we used phr.dom. for lead 1 and 3 (first half, then phr.) and phrygian in lead 2 and 4 (the sweeping ones on the right side).

Nice man thats what im talking about!
Hey James if you happen to read this what did you study or is it true your part alien

I too am a self-taught guitarist. I went about ten years before learning the western scales, and as soon as I learned them, I said to myself, "Why the hell didn't I learn this stuff sooner?"

Recommended scales to start with:

1. A Minor Scale (learn and remember where the root (A) is and modes will be easy to learn next

2. A Harmonic Minor (sames as A Min except G changes to Gb)

3. A Pentatonic Blues Scale

BTW, if ever there were a "Metal Scale" I'd say it's either Minor or Harmonic Minor.

Some fun stuff:

1. Whole tone scale (good for playing stuff like Meshuggah and Dillinger Escape Plan)

2. I always forget the name of this one, but every note is 2 steps apart (instead of one like the whole tone). Easy to remember and fun to jam with.

That should be enough to keep you busy. IMO the hardest part about learning scales, is learning to play them and making it sound like you are NOT playing a scale. Best of luck with your shredding!

" I always forget the name of this one, but every note is 2 steps apart (instead of one like the whole tone). Easy to remember and fun to jam with".

Hungarian isnt it? Marty Friedman style!

Wouldent the half\hole and hole\half scale and the chromatic scale also be pretty metal? Sound really Slayerish to me when used in soloes! :headbang:

Loomis puts a chromo lick after a diminished a hell of a lot, If you can do it quick and smoothly nobody knows what the fuck your playing its just so odd and GOOD! :p

I too am a self-taught guitarist. I went about ten years before learning the western scales, and as soon as I lerned them, I said to myself, "Why the hell didn't I learn this stuff sooner?"

Could not agree with you more! I've always been a rhythm only guy, and I always assumed that scales were for soloing. Not the case! My rhythm has become so much better since I started doing scales, especially because of stuff like practicing skipping strings with the right hand.

:headbang: :headbang:

Get the book "Guitar Grimoire" 'Scales and Modes'. It has every mode you need in every key, and also has sweep style. I have the video too, but it's REAL cheesey. Get this book! I played for about 15 years before I said "fuck it, I'm gonna see what this theory shits all about":lol: I wish I had done it a long time ago. When I first picked it up, I played every mode in the book, and circled the ones I liked. I, then, practiced these modes constantly for, like a year or some shit. Once I learned a few, I started applying this theory to all my leads. No more, minor pentatonic shit all the time, and now I'm more inspired to write with theory in mind.

Let's not forget that the "sound" of many of these modes and scales is greatly dependent on the rhythm behind it and which chords you're soloing over.

Start jamming with acoustic guitars if you really want to learn how different chords, keys, scales, etc. interact.

Vinnie Moore had a great couple of Videos out in the 80's explaining this quite well.

Theres a guitarist handbook and another I have at home that just just great that has all the scales and modes in all positions and all keys