Melodic scales

Learn all the modes of the major scale, for starters, in one key. Learn their diatonic chords. Play around with it, listen to the difference in flavour, good melodies will eventually come to you. Being aware of the relative major/minor scales is also useful. Say you're in the key of D minor. D natural minor shares the exact same notes as F major, but the minor key is obviously darker sounding. This relation between natural minor/major scales allows you to modulate very easily between them, allowing you to play something dark or something a bit brighter only by changing the tonic, not having to worry if your modulation is going to sound harsh or abrupt. But back to the point, most melodic metal stuff is melodic minor all the way.

I use my mobile phone to record vocal lines or vocalised riffs which come to mind when out of home. It's THE best way in my opinion, because you might actually forget your recording walkman, while you will not forget your mobile so easily. Moreover, if your mobile has a lot of memory (or even better: a memory card) you can record HOURS :) My phone is a Nokia 3650 and it fucking ROCKS!!!! :)

Feanor IV said:
Couldn't agree more with this statement!! You can have a happy melody and make it sound not only sad but DESPERATE if you arrange it in a sad away. And the opposite...... In general, look around the net, or (even better) find someone and take harmony lessons. Doing so was one of the best decisions in my life.

And to avoid conversations like "theory kills feeling", I'll just say a big "NO". Learning theory will help you express yourself. It's like having the picture of a beautiful landscape in your head. But you can't paint it!! You need to know and have experience to put what's in your head in notes. And this is where theory comes in. :)
That's a great way to put it. Certainly some players go overboard with technicality (in my opinion) and use more obscure scales and modes, but I have found that at least a good bare-bones basics like learning the major and minor scales in all keys won't hurt anyone. If nothing else it gives the fingers something to do.
To me, phrasing is where the artistry comes in, but if you can't put together a string of notes that sound decent together it doesn't matter how well they are played. Learning some scales will train the ear somewhat on what notes go together.

Bryant